All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Help Fitting Tow Bar?
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:27 am 
Extreme Off Roader

Car:: Nissan X-Trail
Model: Arctix Sport Expedition Auto
Year/Plate: 2008/58
Colour: Twilight Grey
Mods: Safari Roof Lights, Chrome Side Steps, Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Reversing Camera Head Unit, Bonnet Guard, Arctix Mats, X-Trail Boot Mat, Mirror Rain Shield/Visors, Front & Rear Wind Deflectors, Dash Cam, Upgraded Alloys, Chrome Extra's Inside & Out
Hi everyone,
thinking of getting a tow bar fitted to my T31 but haven't got a clue what is needed or how hard it is to do?
My friend said he would help fit it for me, but what is the tow bar to get? the difference between the two types?
Also does he have to do a lot of fiddly electrics or is it almost like plug & play?
Have never had a tow bar before so really haven't got a clue, he also doesn't have a Nissan so doesn't know whats where etc.
So any information would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: Help Fitting Tow Bar?
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:23 am 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Xtrail
Model: T30 2.2 dci
Year/Plate: 2005
Colour: Grey
Mods: Diesel powered pre/aux heater, 4wd working monitor, Ring Xenon ultramax+120.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=64129&start=10

Depends 7 or 13 bin connector. I ordered 13 pin kit from here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282338445251 Same seller offers 7 pin too.
The IGN and live +12 I wired by my self, because the aditional kit costs more than the main kit. I did not needed the stepdrill to make a hole for the wires, because the gromet was there.

Tow bar I bought is from Poland Imiola hak-pol. Not wery happy, because some bolts where missing and lot of washers where left over. And i had to buy M10 tap to clean and realign the threads.

My advise is to assembly the tow bar and make sure you have all bolts and nuts, before you are going to install it.

Trim removal tool set is very handy.
On youtube you can see how it is installed on a qashqai. The bar is different and littlebit the inside the wheel arch is different too. But you can see how the black plastic lips are removed with out braking the taps.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:30 am 
Extreme Off Roader

Car:: Nissan X-Trail
Model: Arctix Sport Expedition Auto
Year/Plate: 2008/58
Colour: Twilight Grey
Mods: Safari Roof Lights, Chrome Side Steps, Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Reversing Camera Head Unit, Bonnet Guard, Arctix Mats, X-Trail Boot Mat, Mirror Rain Shield/Visors, Front & Rear Wind Deflectors, Dash Cam, Upgraded Alloys, Chrome Extra's Inside & Out
Can you not get an all in one set up as haven't got any part of the tow bar on my car, so will need to get it all.
Does it have to be professionally wired in, or is it plug in.
Don't have much of a clue about any of it, so leading the blind really.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:33 am 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T30 2.2 dci
Year/Plate: 2005
Colour: Grey
Mods: Diesel powered pre/aux heater, 4wd working monitor, Ring Xenon ultramax+120.
If you are not shure what you are doing, then let it install in a garage or shop.

I wanted to get OEM harness, it is almost plug and play. And the problem was that the universals where at the same price or even more where i live.

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:54 am 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Nissan Xtrail
Model: 1.6 dig-T Tekna
Year/Plate: 2016/66
Colour: Silver
Mods: Rear bumper sill guard, Door sill scuff guards, Rubber boot liner
You can get a witter tow bar with electrics fitted by a towbar company for around £400. Have a read of the thread below, lots of useful advice.

viewtopic.php?f=225&t=33785

Best regards
Milton :biggrin:

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:02 pm 

Model: T31 Adventura 170
Year/Plate: 2009
Colour: Silver
Mods: Roof Bars, Wind Deflectors, Reversing Lights. Tow Bar, Sump Guard, Diff Breather Extension.
I fitted a Towbar a few weeks back.
£89 from eBay I may have gone for a detachable one if I chose again but I want to put a bike carrier on it so wanted a flange (I'm a little disappointed how low it sits at the bottom of the drop down as I have already caught it once but I was driving around Dartmoor through a small 'ford' which has a steep decline and incline).

Allow a day.
Bumper removal 1/2 hour or so and not to tricky if you follow the instructions on Forum.
Exhaust grommets were a pain (literally, striped skin on that) took another 30 mins to get them off along with the rear crash bar.
Installation of towbay was quite painless, around an hour for a flange bar
Removing inner panels to wire with dreaded scotch clips took another hour or 2 using existing grommets so no drilling.

Tracing wires and clipping in the 7 pin took around an hour. (not planning on a caravan so 7 is fine)
Another hour putting everything back together.

I'm no mechanic but don't mind fiddling with things. (fitted a sump guard and diff breather extension last week)