It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 4:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Engine not starting - electrics go crazy
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:02 am 

Hi,
I've just bought (yesterday) a 2008 X-Trail Arctic Expedition in absolutely fab condition. Did all the prechecks, no major past issues on MOT, passed its most recent with no advisories and was serviced a few days ago with only the rear brakes and oil change done. It's done 92,000 miles.

So, drove it home, a 20 miles trip, and absolutely fine, then did the usual thing of checking everything, lights you name it, and trawled through handbook.

No more than 2 hours later was supposed to take the kids out, and....nadda, not a dicky bird from the car. Allowed me to open the door, but then when I tried to start it, nothing from the engine except blinking lights in random order across the dash. I say nothing there was a kind of ticking. I must note at this point that the red key indicator light was flashing and the green key indicator light was not coming on.

A bit later I tried again. This time I got the Sat Nav starting, but when I tried to turn on the lights, again electrical 4th of July so to speak, and engine not starting.

So finally I tried to manually start the car with the key (Did I mention its keyless), no joy there either.

Now obviously its a day out of the garage and with a 3 month warranty, so it will go back, but before I do that, I'd like to check if my diagnosis is in the ballpark.

1. The keyfob battery is dead or
2. The battery is dead or
3. The alternator isn't charging the battery, thus battery is dead or
4. Something is discharging the battery, thus the battery is dead

I'd like to think its option 1, but something is telling me its not that simple.

Anyone had this problem over the years with their X-Trail ? I know looking over the web, the X-Trails can be temperamental but I've not seen anything quite like this.

Thanks in advance

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: Engine not starting - electrics go crazy
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:55 am 
Soft Roader

What's the voltage at the battery?

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:02 pm 

Voltage - Not sure, I will check later on today.

As an update - it's not option 1 as I've replaced the batteries in both key fobs and it made no difference.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:56 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Xtrail
Model: 171 bhp
Year/Plate: 2008
Colour: grey
Mods: none
Sorry if it is a bit daft to mention, but, did you press the brake peddle, which you do have to?

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:53 pm 

Hi. Yep did all that.

As an update. Managed to dig out my multimeter today and the voltage at the battery was 10.46V, so fairly obvious where the problem is.

Did a very quick burst of recharging over an hour, and got the electrics to at least burst into life, even if there was still not enough juice to start the car - so first thing in the morning I'll set the car up for a full recharge and see how far the battery will charge. I'm hopeful this will get the car going but I know long term this is going to need a new battery.

There is of course the mystery of why the battery went dead in the first place still to solve. I know there are some tests I can perform once I get the car started to ensure the alternator is doing its job.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:24 am 
Soft Roader

Car:: Xtrail
Model: T32 Ntec
Year/Plate: 2014
Colour: Grey
Mods: Towbar :)
Is it the original battery? Maybe the seller charged before you arrived...............
Dave

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:00 pm 

I am going to see if I can find out how old the battery is. Successfully charged it to 12.8V and it held steady at over 14V when the car was running, so, so far so good.

I've got a CTEK comfort metre, so I'll install that at some point this week, and just keep an eye on the battery charge. If it starts to fall off, then there's definitely something amiss somewhere.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:45 pm 
Soft Roader

May of been sitting a while before it sold. If it's not sealed check the levels.