Nissan X-Trail Forum banner

kwik-fit

5K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  jmcc1889 
#1 ·
On searching this forum for info on kwik-fit I have found there appears to be a bit of a kwik-fit love in going on! (For the most part).
I have noticed a slight change in my exhaust note over the last week. I was off work today so I took my car to my nearest kwik-fit to take advantage of the free exhaust check. The nice man lifted the car up in the air and started hitting the exhaust with the palm of his hand right along the whole exhaust, then lowered my car and came into the office. At this point I thought it was going to be fine until he started talking. " The back box is rattllng and the weld on the mid section is cracked! £263 please"or words to that affect. Luckily I only took it there to be checked over as I have a mechanic who will do the work and he's going to look at it saturday, but I guarantee it won't be nowhere near £263.

Dave.

#2 ·
many years ago, i took my Datsun Sunny into Kwik-Fit in Torquay, as the front brakes seemed to squeak a bit... they put it on the ramp and asked me to come back half an hour later...

On my return, it was still there, all four wheels off, i was told £500 please it needs new brake cylinders, disks, and pads, and that some of teh pipes need replacing...

I told them to stick the wheels on, and the refused saying they couldn't let the car go back on teh road as it was a death trap... needless to say i insisted!

An hour later i spoke to a chap i knew who was a commercial fitter, he took ten minutes, used an airline, and diagnosed brake dust causing the squeak, and no other issues.

I have not, and never will use them again... as either they blatantly lied, or just didnt know what teh problem was so opted for the lets just change everything option? i suspect the first...

#7 ·
My other half took her 06 kia rio in to kwik fit for a service and mot it passed mot no probs but they said it needed 4 tyres and exhaust and brakes in the service and the total for all the work was £ 795 . She didn't have tyres as they have still got over 4mm of tread and when i told them car had the brakes done by them a year earlier and any brake issues was covered under there life time brake plan they said it didn't need brakes doing after all . And when i said it passed mot why did it need an exhaust they couldn't reply with an answer . Glad i had that day off when it went in as i was down there to see all the problems before they started any repairs which they didn't need to do so mot and service came to £145 .

#8 ·
I took my car for a few minor things to Kwik-Fit, amongst mounting a tow bar on my former Ford Focus. I must say, they did a good job. Only three bolts were loose!

But, I want to let them fit a new battery and the man did not know by far how to measure the tension under charge (power) of the old battery to see if it was broken and had to call a colleague. After he mounted a wrong one (Poles did not fit, too big) he tried to manage this with a strip of aluminium foil (!!) and I told him I would not accept this. He did not agree and told me it was all-right that way.... I called the chef. Guess what I told him...

Another time they mounted two new front tires. (Michelin) I drove home afterwards and almost immediately noticed the car was pulling to the left. I stopped the car and saw the tire was almost empty. I called Kwik-Fit an told them the problem. After half a hour the came with a van and noticed the air valve was broken (Leak) They pumped it up and the air got out, the same way it got in. You could easily hear the air flow... (In the garage the radio was on * 10 I guess...) They mounted my spare and must get back with them and they finished the job. And now the BIG anger. They want to let me pay the costs for driving to me and repair the tire!!!! You can guess what I told them. So: Kwik Fit?? Hmmmmm.... I almost know for sure that there are not very well skilled mechanics all around over there.... (But that's my opinion...)
To be short: should I go to Kwik-Fit again? BIG no. :headbang:

P.S. And it's a fairy the tires are always cheaper there!

#9 ·
Right then, picked my car up from my mechanic about 1hr ago, I left it with him this morning cos he was busy and didn't know when he would get to it. Anyway, he examined the whole exhaust and discovered the rubber bung/mount was missing from the mid section which was causing the exhaust to vibrate up and down causing a crack in it. The back box in his opinion is fine. He replaced the missing mount and welded the crack and now the car sounds like it should. He charged me £20! A big difference from £263 from kwik-fit.

Dave.

#10 ·
I recall, several years back, taking my then vehicle - LHD imported Smart Cdi - in for a 'Half-price' MOT deal at a 'National Autocentre'.

Came back to find recommended parts & labour to pass priced at £600, with 6 advisories.

Declined their kind offer. :starwars:

Took for a retest NEXT DAY at local independent garage (I kid you not) PASSED fine - total cost of 'remedials' was 75p for a bulb! :shock: :confused: :headbang: :biggrin:

Aitch

#11 ·
No idea if it's true, but I was once told that these big chains get their replacement exhausts made with the joints in slightly different places so that (a) you nearly always "need a complete system, mate" and (b) once you've got one, you can't just buy (say) a tailbox from somewhere else)!

#13 ·
on the old 1972 Cortina, complete exhaust, £120

down the road £70,

so went back and told him, could he match £70,

he showed his £120, heavy and solid, and the £70 tin foil one.

£70 guaranteed 12 months, falls off at 13 months,

got the £120 fitted and was still good when car went for scrap 7 years later,

#14 ·
After parking my xtrail in the drive after returning home from work I just by chance noticed a nail in the nearly new rear tyre, It was towards the outer part of the tread although only just off centre. It was just after 5pm so raced down to my local kwik fit with the intention of getting it repaired before they closed. The manager looked at the tyre and told me that it was too near the edge to be able to repair and I would need a new tyre. He was about to pull the nail out but I asked him to leave it alone. I drove down to my usual tyre fitters in the hope that they would still be open. As it turned out they were just closing up. I showed them the nail and asked if they could repair and was told that there would be no problem doing it but as they were closing they changed the wheel and told me it would be ready first thing in the morning.

In short Kwik fit thrive on emergency business out of normal hours when people mistakenly take their advice as they know they have no option etc etc. I will never darken their door again!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.