Nissan X-Trail Forum banner

Lost power

4K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Eggie 
G
#1 ·
I have lost most of the power and stuggled to get up a steep hill today, i have a new whine coming from the engine and a slipping sound when trying to get up the hill ( but clutch/gearbox seems fine) Any ideas? Gaz.

#2 ·
Check your oil level and if its low, if it is it could be your turbo, remove the intake pipe on the side of the turbo ( 2 12mm nuts) and check turbo shaft should have minimum play in shaft ( 1-2mm max!) if its limper than Dale Wintons wrist, its ********!

Egg

G
#3 ·
I checked and toped up the oil level only the day before and it was low, problem started suddenly yesterday but oil level should have been ok. Cars now in garage waiting to be looked at.Cheers

Eggie said:
Check your oil level and if its low, if it is it could be your turbo, remove the intake pipe on the side of the turbo ( 2 12mm nuts) and check turbo shaft should have minimum play in shaft ( 1-2mm max!) if its limper than Dale Wintons wrist, its ********!

Egg

G
#5 ·
I've just replaced the turbo on mine, Nissan wanted £1500, (£1k turbo + labour), I got a recon turbo from turboactive for £425 (they've new for c.£100 more) and local garage fitted it in 3 hours. So roughly £600 all in, don't get suckered at Nissan.

D

G
#7 ·
woodsie said:
Don't know age or mileage of your XY so reputed 93k miles/5year increased warranty of Turbo by Nissan may not help? :confused:
I had a lengthy "dicussion" with Nissan customer services over this, as mine is at 75k and is 5 1/2 yrs old, the end result was they'd knock off 20% of a £1500 bill, better than nowt, but not enough to rival a £600 bill footed by me when carried ouyt by an independant.

D

G
#8 ·
Thank for all the feedback.
I have ordered a new turbo from Turbo active for £595 ( Nissan price is £1050) and getting independent to fit. is 3 hours normal to fit, I have been quoted 10-12 hours?

Nissan also said we should change the intercooler, oil feed pipes etc, does anyone have any experience of how necessary this is?

#9 ·
hallfamily@sapo.pt said:
Thank for all the feedback.
I have ordered a new turbo from Turbo active for £595 ( Nissan price is £1050) and getting independent to fit. is 3 hours normal to fit, I have been quoted 10-12 hours?

Nissan also said we should change the intercooler, oil feed pipes etc, does anyone have any experience of how necessary this is?
Intercooler should at least be flushed out of any excess oil ( they do have a bit in them anyway) as if its full of oil due to turbo going, as soon as you get it hot with the new turbo on it could run off on the oil and do another turbo in.

Oil feed pipe should always be checked for bloackage anyway as if blocked, no oil getting to turbo bearings results in seized turbo!
obviously do an oil and filter change at the same time!
3 hours is about right, not a bad job to do!

Egg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.