It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Lost power
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:11 pm 
I have lost most of the power and stuggled to get up a steep hill today, i have a new whine coming from the engine and a slipping sound when trying to get up the hill ( but clutch/gearbox seems fine) Any ideas? Gaz.

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: Lost power
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:11 am 
Soft Roader

Check your oil level and if its low, if it is it could be your turbo, remove the intake pipe on the side of the turbo ( 2 12mm nuts) and check turbo shaft should have minimum play in shaft ( 1-2mm max!) if its limper than Dale Wintons wrist, its b*$$*$&d!

Egg

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:06 am 
I checked and toped up the oil level only the day before and it was low, problem started suddenly yesterday but oil level should have been ok. Cars now in garage waiting to be looked at.Cheers

Eggie wrote:
Check your oil level and if its low, if it is it could be your turbo, remove the intake pipe on the side of the turbo ( 2 12mm nuts) and check turbo shaft should have minimum play in shaft ( 1-2mm max!) if its limper than Dale Wintons wrist, its b*$$*$&d!

Egg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:50 pm 
Blown Turbo is the diagnois! Gutted :sad:

hallfamily@sapo.pt wrote:
I have lost most of the power and stuggled to get up a steep hill today, i have a new whine coming from the engine and a slipping sound when trying to get up the hill ( but clutch/gearbox seems fine) Any ideas? Gaz.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:48 pm 
I've just replaced the turbo on mine, Nissan wanted £1500, (£1k turbo + labour), I got a recon turbo from turboactive for £425 (they've new for c.£100 more) and local garage fitted it in 3 hours. So roughly £600 all in, don't get suckered at Nissan.

D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:48 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Car:: Xtrail
Model: 2.2 DCI SVE
Year/Plate: 55
Colour: Merlot
Mods: Removable Towbar,Rubber floor & boot mats.
Don't know age or mileage of your XY so reputed 93k miles/5year increased warranty of Turbo by Nissan may not help? :confused:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:34 pm 
woodsie wrote:
Don't know age or mileage of your XY so reputed 93k miles/5year increased warranty of Turbo by Nissan may not help? :confused:

I had a lengthy "dicussion" with Nissan customer services over this, as mine is at 75k and is 5 1/2 yrs old, the end result was they'd knock off 20% of a £1500 bill, better than nowt, but not enough to rival a £600 bill footed by me when carried ouyt by an independant.

D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:07 pm 
Thank for all the feedback.
I have ordered a new turbo from Turbo active for £595 ( Nissan price is £1050) and getting independent to fit. is 3 hours normal to fit, I have been quoted 10-12 hours?

Nissan also said we should change the intercooler, oil feed pipes etc, does anyone have any experience of how necessary this is?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:45 pm 
Soft Roader

hallfamily@sapo.pt wrote:
Thank for all the feedback.
I have ordered a new turbo from Turbo active for £595 ( Nissan price is £1050) and getting independent to fit. is 3 hours normal to fit, I have been quoted 10-12 hours?

Nissan also said we should change the intercooler, oil feed pipes etc, does anyone have any experience of how necessary this is?

Intercooler should at least be flushed out of any excess oil ( they do have a bit in them anyway) as if its full of oil due to turbo going, as soon as you get it hot with the new turbo on it could run off on the oil and do another turbo in.

Oil feed pipe should always be checked for bloackage anyway as if blocked, no oil getting to turbo bearings results in seized turbo!
obviously do an oil and filter change at the same time!
3 hours is about right, not a bad job to do!

Egg

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:19 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Car:: Xtrail
Model: SVE 2.2 dci T30
Year/Plate: 2004/53
Colour: Merlot
Mods: Tinted windows, Pioneer SPHDA100 head unit, Side Steps, Towbar, Reversing Sensors, LED interior lights.
Hi. reading the last post on this topic regarding the oil feed pipe to the turbo being checked for blockages is it possible to remove this pipe with the turbo in situ? If so where is it situated.
Thanks.