It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Diesel or Petrol ? Which is best .....
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:27 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Car:: X-Trail :)
Model: SVE - YD 2.2 ETi Series I MT.F6
Year/Plate: 2003
Colour: Muddy when possible
Mods: Geolander AT/S - RUD Chains - TBar - Sump Guard - Whispbar Roof Bars - EGR Headlight Guards - Bonnet Guard - Pioneer - CB - CGP - Recovery Kit .....
I suspect this has been asked before, however here goes. I am looking at getting a T30. My budget is some what small, about 3K, and I have been reading up on both the TD and petrol.

There seems to be some issues with Xy engines. Now I know that it always the negatives we hear about, and after further investigation, the 2.2 TD seems be the best option. There will be forest trails, mud, water and snow to consider :biggrin:

Previous vehicles include RR 3.5 V8, 110 Defender, SII, SIII, Jeep XJ.

So which is the better engine to go for, diesel or petrol ?

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: Diesel or Petrol ? Which is best .....
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:25 am 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Xtrail
Model: 2.0L SE+ Auto
Year/Plate: 2002
Colour: Metallic Green
Mods: HID bi-xenon 6000k head lights, Front wind deflectors, Rear chrome corner bars, Handle under boot shelf, Goodyear Wrangler A/W tyres, Aero wipers, Reverse parking camera and sensors, N501 Double din Head Unit with SAT NAV, DVD, DVBT, etc.
The only fair way that you could get an answer on here to that question, is from someone who has owned (and used quite regularly), one of each fuel type... otherwise 99% of the forum'ers are going to be biased to their own particular fuel option :thumbs:

Based on that, I think the answer on here would be wavy at best, as it would be based on how many people replied and voted for their own car and not a fairly judged opinion, unless they owned both fuel types for the same year, model etc.

My advice is to test drive a few yourself... even try an LPG conversion too if you can find one and to be your own judge. ;-)

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:26 am 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: X-Trail
Model: SVE 2.2dCi
Year/Plate: July 2005 [05]
Colour: Zinc
Mods: Parking Sensors. DRLs, Additional Reverse lights, Air Horns, Wind Deflectors....
Hello snowyfox,

Welcome to the Forum.

I think shaymeboy has the right answer here - go out and try some you will then experience the difference first hand. :thumbs:

With a budget of £3k your choice will be restricted, also the earlier X-Trails different engine combinations. Also when you say "There will be forest trails, mud, water and snow to consider" I take it that you intend to get your hand dirty with your X-Trail - so you may pick up a bargain if you are not too bothered about the cosmetics of your car.

Good luck in your search, and if you find the right vehicle then I think this is the place for advice and support in your venture. :biggrin:

Best wishes, John

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:59 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Mods: Geolander AT/S - RUD Chains - TBar - Sump Guard - Whispbar Roof Bars - EGR Headlight Guards - Bonnet Guard - Pioneer - CB - CGP - Recovery Kit .....
Thank you. Well yes, I do not mind getting bruised knuckles, a must for owning LRs.:biggrin:

I figure if the "car" is going to get muddy, a good set of tyres is the big must. Then it is a matter of working upwards. I have spent some time digging around, I build some of the mods I want, more to follow on this. Just uncertain about the engine. Dci sounds good, but probabley out my budget, the 2.0 petrol appears to be a no. So that leaves the 2.5 petrol and the 2.2 td.

The autobox is appealing, and if treated right can perform off road ok. I would find it a close call between a manual or auto box. Servicing seems to be not an issue for either. I would like to try and get a drive in both, however we shall see......

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:21 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: LEXUS
Model: RX
Colour: Dark grey
Hi snowyfox. Both diesel and petrol engines are good, Your budget may limit you slightly though as diesel versions tend to hold their value better than petrol so you may find a good deal on a 2.5 somewhere? These engines have pretty good torque (not up to the standard of a diesel by any means but they are good) and you wouldn't have to worry about any intercooler/turbo issues. Seems most people are keen on diesels when looking for an X Trail so search for a cheap petrol one, get a decent air filter and plugs and away you go!
Just my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:20 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Thanks Vandy. Well I did get to go in a 2.2 today, have to say dissappointed. Now the car had seen better days, but quite presentable, and with a bit of work would look a darn sight better.

However the engine was smokey, black, and the lack of go was a sign all was not well under the bonnet. My old Cherokee VM had more get up and go. Will try a petrol, shame Nissan did not do an inline 6.......

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:22 pm 
Xtrail Nut

snowyfox wrote:
Thanks Vandy. Well I did get to go in a 2.2 today, have to say dissappointed. Now the car had seen better days, but quite presentable, and with a bit of work would look a darn sight better.

However the engine was smokey, black, and the lack of go was a sign all was not well under the bonnet. My old Cherokee VM had more get up and go. Will try a petrol, shame Nissan did not do an inline 6.......

Shame they don't do a big whotsit off V8 :whistle: Would have settled for 6 cylinders though - definately :thumbs:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:03 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Car:: Xtrail
Model: 2.2 cDi
Year/Plate: 04
Colour: Aruba Blue
Mods: Tow bar, silver side repeaters/indicators, HID dips, Sony double-din DVD head unit, LED sidelights, LED panel interior lights
snowyfox wrote:
shame Nissan did not do an inline 6.......

They did!! Try the RB26DETT from an R34 Skyline. 3L straight 6 twin turbo lump of happiness!!

Toyota made a similar lump - slightly more tuneable - which I have seen fitted to a Hilux and tuned to good effect :)

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:19 pm 
Xtrail Nut

:idea: Mmm................................... :smile:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:15 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: X Trail
Model: T30 2.0S
Year/Plate: 2002
Slightly off topic, but have we seen any engine-converted X Trails anywhere?

I have to say, when I went to collect my spares car with the trailer, I borrowed a 3.1TD Izusu Trooper and thought "wow, wish I could get this engine in an X Trail!" - A bit agricultural no doubt but a hugely strong engine, and in the LWB chassis its about the best tow car you could ask for.

Anyway, I have to say I'm growing a little tired of my 2.0 petrol only coming on cam at 3000rpm. It's a bit like riding a two-stroke bike again, just without the nice smell...