It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: is this the dreaded SCV fault or something else?
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:01 pm 

I'm about to throw in the towel and sell my Xtrail due to power loss issues.

I;ve read loads of threads on here about powerloss and most people complain that they lose power and it stays powerless and they have to change down a gear or even restart etc. then it recovers. These generally seem to point to a suction control valve fault.
My issue is slightly different, but probably related.

it always seems to happen at around 2000-2750rpm and can be in any gear - but mainly happens in 3rd and above.
Using a bit of power - but not always more than half throttle or full throttle - it appears to go into complete limp mode. Dead as a do-do. No smoke, no banging or clattering, just like the throttle cable has come off!
All it takes is for me to remove my foot from the throttle for less than half a second and put it back on and all is now restored! Yep, thats it. No messing about changing down or restarting the engine - literally blip my foot off and back on the throttle and everything is back to normal.
Sometimes this doesnt happen for weeks at a time, other times it can happen 20 times in a journey!!!!!

I've done a full service including all the filters and given it a blast through the EGR valve to give it all a clean - but it made no difference. Am I suffering the SCV issue or is this something else?

Any help would be appreciated
cheers
Nick.

ps. its a 2005 2.2dci exy ;-)

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: is this the dreaded SCV fault or something else?
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:46 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Xtrail T30
Model: SVE - Blue Thunder
Year/Plate: 03
Colour: Aruba Blue (BW6)
Mods: Reverse sensors/alarm, front & rear wind deflectors, chrome rear boot sill guard, chrome mirror covers, chrome door handle covers, chrome rear light covers, full set rear nissan window screens, bonnet deflector/bug guard, headlamp protectors!
sounds like SCV to me... but i wouldn't throw the towel in, this can be resolved for a few hundred pounds... not doing it will make the vehicle much harder to sell... and worth a lot less than the repair required.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:04 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Car:: Xtrail
Model: 2.2 dci columbia
Year/Plate: 2006
Colour: blue
Mods: tow bar
have you looked ot the throttle control it seems strange that as soon as you change throttle position it starts working ok.....my theory here is the pot on the throttle is dirty and the wiper isnt making good contact :frown:

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:42 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: X-Trail
Model: SVE 2.2dCi
Year/Plate: July 2005 [05]
Colour: Zinc
Mods: Parking Sensors. DRLs, Additional Reverse lights, Air Horns, Wind Deflectors....
Hello nicks90,

I agree with Mark – parting with your X-Trail - you could lose more than the cost of the repair... :oops:

SCV on ebay for £145 or make an offer... Suction Control Valve SCV 294009-0120 [we just need someone to confirm it is the "right" one]...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suction-Contr ... 19d08add35

posbyjohn wrote:
have you looked ot the throttle control it seems strange that as soon as you change throttle position it starts working ok.....my theory here is the pot on the throttle is dirty and the wiper isnt making good contact :frown:

I also think that posbyjohn could have a point about the throttle - especially if the "fault" occurs at the same point each time.

Throttle - there is a 2.2 DCI Throttle Pedal 2005 on ebay for £45... [again we need someone to confirm it is the "right" one]...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-X-Trai ... 3cc461ef54

I am also thinking simpler issues - like say the quality of the fuel - what do you use?
or maybe a poor connection at the earth strap could contribute to the problem. I have had experience of this on a petrol engine - not sure about a diesel? :oops:

Please do not lose heart, and I hope you find a solution soon. :thumbs:

Best wishes, John

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:31 am 
Site Admin

Model: 2.2 Di Sport(T30 - YD22ETI) Trans MT.F6
Year/Plate: Dec 51
Colour: Red AX6
What you need to do is find out what error codes are showing before spending any money as both faults throw out different codes. Take it to an independent garage that will do a Vehicle diagnostics for you like a Bosch Service Centre in the link below.

http://www.boschcarservice.co.uk/

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:01 pm 

Model: 2.2 SVE Diesel
Year/Plate: 2003
Colour: Silver
Mods: Towbar
This is a very similar problem that I have been experiencing for about three years and never bothered about fixing it. Lately the problem has got worse so, since no error codes were showing, myself and the garage decide to change the fuel pressure valve on the fuel pump. Prior to doing this I managed to get the car (2003 2.2 SVE Diesel) to the garage while it was still in limp mode and prior to switching it off checked it on the diagnostic machine when it showed the fault as the Throttle Position Sensor. Its an easy job so I took it off stripped it down and cleaned the terminals. After replacing it again, three days ago, the car hasn,t missed a beat. You might want to try this. Good luck

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:22 pm 
Soft Roader

Model: 2003 SVE
Mods: Window Tints
Mine's started doing exactly the same over the last couple of weeks - from what i've read on here I think the SCV could well be to blame.

I'm booked in for an MOT with my usual garage on the 23rd, so theyre going to do a vehicle diagnostics on it then. I seem to be ok driving, so long as I dont use more than 1/2 throttle - kinda slow going though!!

Is wierd how there are no warning lights, rattles, smoke, nothing - when something is clearly not right??!!

Keep us posted, and i'll let you know how I get on.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:04 am 
Soft Roader

Model: 2.2 TD Sport
Year/Plate: 2002/52
Colour: Red
I have similar issues and like you am coming to the end of my patience with this car. In 15 years of motoring I've never had such a tempremental car and there seem to be many others sharing this problem. Going to watch in on your thread as I may replace the SCV's as a last attempt to sort it - depends if they aren't too difficult to replace. They are available for mine for about £175.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260850394835? ... 2938988964

My next step though is to read the fault codes although the engine management warning light isn't on.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:50 am 
Soft Roader

Model: 2003 SVE
Mods: Window Tints
Mine is with my garage now - everything points towards SCVs.

I'm not looking forward to the phone call tbh.

We've had the car 3 years now, it's nearly 10. Starting to need quite a lot of (pricey) maintenance as it approaches the 100k mark. We've been looking at Toyota RAVs I must confess. Starting to loose my love for the xtrail.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:37 pm 

Model: 2.2 SVE Diesel
Year/Plate: 2003
Colour: Silver
Mods: Towbar
Hello Slamdunc, My problem was the same as the engine management light was never on when it was on the diagnostics. If it is the throttle position sensor the fault seams to clear itself when the car is switched off and on again. The only way i could get the fault from the diagnostics (after 3 years of trying) was to check it when the engine management light was on and the engine was in limp mode. Good luck, Elliot