Post subject: kwik-fit
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:16 pm 
Soft Roader

Car:: X-Trail
Model: 2.0Ltr Sport
Year/Plate: 2003
Colour: Blue
Mods: Tow bar. Rear parking sensors.
On searching this forum for info on kwik-fit I have found there appears to be a bit of a kwik-fit love in going on! (For the most part).
I have noticed a slight change in my exhaust note over the last week. I was off work today so I took my car to my nearest kwik-fit to take advantage of the free exhaust check. The nice man lifted the car up in the air and started hitting the exhaust with the palm of his hand right along the whole exhaust, then lowered my car and came into the office. At this point I thought it was going to be fine until he started talking. " The back box is rattllng and the weld on the mid section is cracked! £263 please"or words to that affect. Luckily I only took it there to be checked over as I have a mechanic who will do the work and he's going to look at it saturday, but I guarantee it won't be nowhere near £263.

Dave.

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: kwik-fit
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:36 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Xtrail T30
Model: SVE - Blue Thunder
Year/Plate: 03
Colour: Aruba Blue (BW6)
Mods: Reverse sensors/alarm, front & rear wind deflectors, chrome rear boot sill guard, chrome mirror covers, chrome door handle covers, chrome rear light covers, full set rear nissan window screens, bonnet deflector/bug guard, headlamp protectors!
many years ago, i took my Datsun Sunny into Kwik-Fit in Torquay, as the front brakes seemed to squeak a bit... they put it on the ramp and asked me to come back half an hour later...

On my return, it was still there, all four wheels off, i was told £500 please it needs new brake cylinders, disks, and pads, and that some of teh pipes need replacing...

I told them to stick the wheels on, and the refused saying they couldn't let the car go back on teh road as it was a death trap... needless to say i insisted!

An hour later i spoke to a chap i knew who was a commercial fitter, he took ten minutes, used an airline, and diagnosed brake dust causing the squeak, and no other issues.

I have not, and never will use them again... as either they blatantly lied, or just didnt know what teh problem was so opted for the lets just change everything option? i suspect the first...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:04 pm 
Site Admin

Car:: Xtrail
Model: 2.2 Di Sport(T30 - YD22ETI) Trans MT.F6
Year/Plate: Dec 51
Colour: Red AX6
You can get your back box from Milners off road and if you give them a ring they may be able to get you the mid section for petrol too.

http://www.milneroffroad.com/nissan/x-t ... 30-exhaust

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:07 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

another owner somewhere on the web took his in for a service,
told brakes totally shot and a death trap, same as you,

till he showed them the MOT he had done
last week by qwikfit in the other town,

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:13 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Xtrail
Model: 2.0L SE+ Auto
Year/Plate: 2002
Colour: Metallic Green
Mods: HID bi-xenon 6000k head lights, Front wind deflectors, Rear chrome corner bars, Handle under boot shelf, Goodyear Wrangler A/W tyres, Aero wipers, Reverse parking camera and sensors, N501 Double din Head Unit with SAT NAV, DVD, DVBT, etc.
Don't tar them all with the same brush... my Kwik-Fit are brilliant. You'll get clueless, cheating cowboy mechanics everywhere but there are a few good places out there... it's down to luck. :-?

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:25 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: SVE 2.2dCi
Year/Plate: July 2005 [05]
Colour: Zinc
Mods: Parking Sensors. DRLs, Additional Reverse lights, Air Horns, Wind Deflectors....
shaymeboy wrote:
Don't tar them all with the same brush... my Kwik-Fit are brilliant. You'll get clueless, cheating cowboy mechanics everywhere but there are a few good places out there... it's down to luck. :-?

I agree. :thumbs:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:56 pm 
Soft Roader

My other half took her 06 kia rio in to kwik fit for a service and mot it passed mot no probs but they said it needed 4 tyres and exhaust and brakes in the service and the total for all the work was £ 795 . She didn't have tyres as they have still got over 4mm of tread and when i told them car had the brakes done by them a year earlier and any brake issues was covered under there life time brake plan they said it didn't need brakes doing after all . And when i said it passed mot why did it need an exhaust they couldn't reply with an answer . Glad i had that day off when it went in as i was down there to see all the problems before they started any repairs which they didn't need to do so mot and service came to £145 .

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:06 am 
Xtrail Nut

Location: The Netherlands, Maartensdijk, centre of the country
Car:: X-Trail 2.0 petrol
Model: 2 wheel drive, Comfort "Black Bomb."
Year/Plate: 2006
Colour: Black!!
Mods: Inner- out temp. gauge, mid-armrest, Tow-hook, fire ext., first-aid kit, 230 Volts (150 Watts max) Garmin nav. (removable) fitted in dash. Side-wind deflectors; front and back. Rear view camera parking control. Rubber boot liner. Dog protection rack.
I took my car for a few minor things to Kwik-Fit, amongst mounting a tow bar on my former Ford Focus. I must say, they did a good job. Only three bolts were loose!

But, I want to let them fit a new battery and the man did not know by far how to measure the tension under charge (power) of the old battery to see if it was broken and had to call a colleague. After he mounted a wrong one (Poles did not fit, too big) he tried to manage this with a strip of aluminium foil (!!) and I told him I would not accept this. He did not agree and told me it was all-right that way.... I called the chef. Guess what I told him...

Another time they mounted two new front tires. (Michelin) I drove home afterwards and almost immediately noticed the car was pulling to the left. I stopped the car and saw the tire was almost empty. I called Kwik-Fit an told them the problem. After half a hour the came with a van and noticed the air valve was broken (Leak) They pumped it up and the air got out, the same way it got in. You could easily hear the air flow... (In the garage the radio was on * 10 I guess...) They mounted my spare and must get back with them and they finished the job. And now the BIG anger. They want to let me pay the costs for driving to me and repair the tire!!!! You can guess what I told them. So: Kwik Fit?? Hmmmmm.... I almost know for sure that there are not very well skilled mechanics all around over there.... (But that's my opinion...)
To be short: should I go to Kwik-Fit again? BIG no. :headbang:

P.S. And it's a fairy the tires are always cheaper there!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:27 pm 
Soft Roader

Model: 2.0Ltr Sport
Year/Plate: 2003
Colour: Blue
Mods: Tow bar. Rear parking sensors.
Right then, picked my car up from my mechanic about 1hr ago, I left it with him this morning cos he was busy and didn't know when he would get to it. Anyway, he examined the whole exhaust and discovered the rubber bung/mount was missing from the mid section which was causing the exhaust to vibrate up and down causing a crack in it. The back box in his opinion is fine. He replaced the missing mount and welded the crack and now the car sounds like it should. He charged me £20! A big difference from £263 from kwik-fit.

Dave.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:26 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: X-Trail T31
Model: 2.0 dCi Aventura Explorer 173ps MT6
Year/Plate: 2008/08
Colour: Blade Silver
Mods: Sidelights, Rears, Interiors, Puddles: All White LEDs, Rubber mats, Rigid upper boot liner, Loadnet, BG244 De-coke & 2SO 1:200
I recall, several years back, taking my then vehicle - LHD imported Smart Cdi - in for a 'Half-price' MOT deal at a 'National Autocentre'.

Came back to find recommended parts & labour to pass priced at £600, with 6 advisories.

Declined their kind offer. :starwars:

Took for a retest NEXT DAY at local independent garage (I kid you not) PASSED fine - total cost of 'remedials' was 75p for a bulb! :shock: :confused: :headbang: :biggrin:

Aitch