Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of advice. I'm considering an X-Trail as my next car. Separate to my daily driving (approx 20,000miles per year) it'll also need to tow a caravan which has a MTPLM of 1,700kgs.

I have discounted the 2.0dCi as the economy isn't the best for the predominantly daily driving I do which makes up probably about 19,000 miles out of the 20,000 miles annually.

I had originally settled on the 1.7dCi as it probably has just enough power to pull the caravan. However given the ever increasing car prices I'm wondering if the older 1.6dCi would be an option or would it struggle? Both have 2000kg towing capacity but the 1.7dCi has 148bhp vs 129bhp for the 1.6dCi.

For example, I have seen 2019 1.7dCi Teknas with sub 30k mile starting just under £23k, but I can get a 2018 1.6 tekna with sub 30k miles for less than £19K, a saving of about £4,000.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
The small engines take less fuel only on paper and in the city. I on open roads and higher speeds fuel consumption is the same. Plus, it is a big car and imho, it need the power.
Where i live, the x-trail sales are down because, lack of powerful engines. Tiguan and karok sales are in top, all 180hp+ engines.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi daithi28, I had a 1.6dCi, manual, that I used for towing a 1200kgs caravan to Italy and back without any problems, I then bought a new 1500kgs caravan and clearly noticed the difference so I got the car remapped. Went to Italy and back and would have preferred a bit more power but it coped, two adults, back seats down and car fully loaded including folding electric bikes in the car. The car was four year old and due to be changed, I replaced it with the 1.7dCi, manual, done Italy and back with same caravan five times (returned home yesterday) and I am comfy with the set-up. No problems on the flat but have to change down gear on most inclines (that is with a 1500kgs not a 1700kgs caravan).
Fuel consumption towing I got 34mpg with the 1.6 (after it was remapped) and 29mpg with the 1.7. When not towing, urban driving I got/get 46mpg with the 1.6 and 36mpg with the 1.7, on a motorway run it would be 58 to 60mpg for the 1.6 and about 47 to 50mpg for the 1.7.
Hope this assists you, feel free to ask for further info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts