Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 18 months and 16 thousand miles, the following faults have happened:
1 Excessive oil on air filter and turbo induction pipe. New oil seperator fitted.
2 Rear seat belt warning light failed. New buckle fitted due too snapped wire
3 Fuel gauge not reading correctly, When full the gauge is one bar from the top. The car is going to the dealers on Monday for investigation.

I will keep you informed.

·
Registered
86 Posts
1 Excessive oil on air filter and turbo induction pipe. New oil seperator fitted.
I found what I thought was a large amount of oil on my air filter when I changed it recently.. :sad:

What is this Oil seperator you talk of?
Was it a warranty replacement? I have 2 months left.....
Can it be done DIY?

Thanks in advance
akastiggy :thumbs:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To Akastiggy.

The oil seperator was an integral part of the top of the engine. It was replaced under
warranty, however I would not think it was a DIY job, the dealer told me that they had to replace the whole top of the engine. The dealer told me that the seperator forms part of the breather system, seperating the oil from the crank case pressure that is developed by the engine when it is running.

If your warranty is nearly up, do our cars have the same Renault sourced engine, it may have a different system ?. Honest John (Daily Telegraph motoring journalist) told me to have my turbo bearings checked as excessive oil on an air filter can be caused by turbo charger bearing failure.

I used to work on diesel engine trains and replacing the air filters was critical to engine maintenance and performance. Infact the previous x trail turbo and intercooler failures has highlighed the excessive time period between air filter changes.

Hope this helps, keep in touch.

pc

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fault update:
1. Fuel gauge fault appears to be ok now. The gauge always reads full now at fill ups.
2. The vibrating rear view mirror is still on going. I purchased a new rear view mirror from Nissan (£71). I am collecting it tomorrow. if it cures the fault, i will be sending the bill to Nissan and attempt to claim it back.

Due to a puncture, (which I managed to get repaired),I started looking at the cost of replacement tyres. Gararge said that my tyres had six months left on them. That means that my original fit tyres will have lasted 27k approx. Kwik fit was the best price @ £480 for 4. It was a special offer for the same original fit. Any one given any thought to replacing all 4 at once or just replacing F or B as reqd?.

So far with 19 months in the xt is still performing well, DPF warning light has come on as follows:

9873 cleared after 10 miles @ 80mph
11864 cleared after 21 miles @70mph
14310 cleared after 21 miles @ 80 mph
20501 cleared after 21 miles @ above 50 mph

Any member got there car on the Nissan PCP scheme?. With a 15 months to go until my final payment, I am wondering if my future guaranteed valve will be more than the car is worth. My local Nissan gararge does not even have a showroom xt any more and states '' xt's are only made to order now and the market has collapsed for new sales''.

Got a letter from Nissan asking me to take part in a software trial. They said that as my car had sat nav and esp, that i would be invited to join in. They indicated that via the internet / in car display, I could evaluate my driving style and get driving tips from them. For my efforts I would be given a £200 voucher. After replying yes to join in, I have since heard nothing. Any other member had this letter.

Thats all for now
PC

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My T31 150 bhp has now covered 25k. Just had its second service, brake fluid change and pollen filter changed. Prior to the service,noticed oil on the plastic engine belly panel. The oil is coming from the oil separator again. The separator was replaced in June last year. The part is to be replaced next week as it's on back order. The gararge tell me that the part number has changed. This tells them that the part has been modified.

Spoke to Nissan customer service, they are not aware of any problems, however they gave me an assurance that if it failed again and the car was out of warranty, then goodwill would be applied. The customer service rep was very good.

Also on the service all 4 tyres still had 5mm of tread left.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Now done almost 2 years and 22000 miles with just one visit to the dealer with a problem door lock actuator that sounded odd
No DPF problems but my neighbour with a Qashkai has been engaged in lengthy correspondence with Nissan but his wife does all short runs

The front tyres lasted 21000 miles not having been rotaed with the rears
They could have gone a bit longer but I like to be on the safe side
The Dunlops were replaced with Pirelli Scorpion and contrary to other reports I don't find them as noisy and the till only sounded half as loud(2 Pirellis for the price of 1 Dunlop almost)
The car seems to drive nicer as well

·
Registered
26 Posts
JohnG said:
The Dunlops were replaced with Pirelli Scorpion and contrary to other reports I don't find them as noisy and the till only sounded half as loud(2 Pirellis for the price of 1 Dunlop almost)
The car seems to drive nicer as well
the car will handle better and noticibly better as well with the pirelli scorpions on the front
i found that when i changed all 4 on my old 08 t31 :grin:

·
Registered
115 Posts
just a quick comment on warrenty....hmmmm....check your milage is warrented aswell, my 2007 T30 was and is in warrenty age wise but millage now 72k isn't - therefore my car no longer under warrenty for anything...hmmmmm - told this by local stealers and also by nissan head office...hmmmmmmmmmmmm, but they did cough up 2/3 of price for new intercooler..still cost me a grand ! how can any peice of a car cost that much....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :eek:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just had the second oil seperator fitted. On the way to the dealer to have it fitted the DPF light came on again. The dealer checked it out after the repairs and said it was ok. To clear the DPF light I only did 8 miles in 4th gear (approx 3000 revs). Regarding the new oil seperator, the dealer told me to bring the car back before the end of the warranty to have it checked out again, incase it starts to fail again. I intend to keep the car for 5 years so I will be purchasing the Nissan extended warranty when my original warranty runs out next September.

Whilst at the dealership, the salesman told me that Nissan have delayed the shipping of XT's into the UK. He was unsure why. However, no XT was present in the showroom. Nissan also put up their prices on Thursday. :( .

Any members purchased or fitted the aluminium roof rack as shown in the brochure ?.
How much is it?.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
My X-trail is 4 weeks old now, with almost 4,000 miles on the clock to date.

Only two little things - rear door needed a lock replacing as you couldn't open it from the inside and the car stopped communicating with the radio keys intermittantly (sorted today while I waited).

My local dealer very good.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello John, nice to get a reply, I was beginning to get lonely. I hope
you enjoy your X trail. Mine has one the whole been quite good. However my DPF light has come on twice in the last three weeks, this time only 500 miles since it was last on.
The car is into the dealers again on Monday for the oil seperator. It has been replaced twice and I have oil leaking from the pipe leading from the air filter to the turbo charger.

I am seriously considering rejecting this car. The DPF problem means that this car is unsuitable for my 25 mile/day commute. I have to detour to go onto a motorway to try and clean out the DPF. I have even started driving in 4th gear (so much for a six speed box) to try and keep the revs up.

The gararge will be given one final attempt to fix the oil leak and thats it.

Any other member suffering from DPF/oil leak problems?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry to all members just read all the DPF threads. Is there an answer to this problem?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts