Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 54 plate 2.2 x-trail that ocassionally goes into limp mode. No engine management lights show on dashboard, and switching ignition off and on cures problem. The car has done 57K, has anybody any advice on this problem.

Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
kenny3760 said:
I have a 54 plate 2.2 x-trail that ocassionally goes into limp mode. No engine management lights show on dashboard, and switching ignition off and on cures problem. The car has done 57K, has anybody any advice on this problem.

Thanks
Probably a pump or rail pressure problem. Need to plug in and check for codes!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Getting a diagnostic ran on it next thursday, I'll let you know how it goes. My local garage has suggested a dirty EGR valve might be causing it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My 2003 113bhp machine had been running rough occasionally but it usually picked up. Then on my way to Scotland for a 3 day break with the Mrs it really got difficult. I turned into the Nissan dealer in Penrith - first shot was the fuel filter changed that (£45!). Set off again and it stalled 3 times before it got to the motorway. Back to dealer who lent me a courtesy car to go home (not far) and get our other car. Loaded up and returned 3days later to the news it was the possibly the fuel pump but not sure!. Left it with them. Initial diagnosis: fuel pump £1920 + Vat + £320 + vat. Offered alternative of a rebuilt one for 'only' £580 + VAt +£320 +VAT to fit it! They were not sure diagnosis was correct! Not happy! Then their mechanic decided to check around his mates. Diagnosed EGR valve - cleaned it and associated pipework out. Seemed OK so they took it to Nissan in Carlisle and ran more diagnostics on it - success and 'only' £195 + VAT for labour. Which is a lot better than over £1000! I've only done about 25miles since I got it back and it seems to be OK and a lot better than it had been for months.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had the diagnostic check ran today at a local guy with a very good reputation. 2 codes came up P0089 and P1273.
P0089: Fuel pump regulator mechanical fault
P1273: Fuel pump pressure

Then went to dealer to discuss options, he spoke about possibly a dirty fuel filter, and asked when it was last changed. If it's the primary one it was about 1500 miles ago at last service. If it is the other one then it hasn't been done, and according to the service schedule it shouldn't have needed changed yet, I believe this is in the fuel pump inlet.

We then talked about how to empty my wallet and I have been given the option of fitting a Suction Control Valve to the pump and getting the filter changed for roughly £300 or getting the fuel pump taken out, sent away and overhauled for roughly £1300. First option doesn't always work, sometimes the fault comes back after a couple of months.
I am inclined to get the first option done and then trade it in to the same dealer and let them deal with it when the quick fix fails. It would be interesting to see if I got full value or wether they tried to knock something off for the fuel pump problem. However that would probably entail getting another nissan and after this escapade thats not something I am overly keen on.

How Nissan can get away with turning out motors with a known common fault and not do anything about it is beyond me. I am going to write to Nissan head office in the UK but I doubt it'll even get a reply.

I wouldn't be overconfident that the problem is fixed after 25 miles, mine could run for up to 400 miles without a problem but has dropped into limp mode 3 times in the last week.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Its sad that the xtrail is such a good 4x4 the 2.2dci is 1st class and pulls like a train..but the worries over the turbo, fault codes and the like, it take nissan back to the days of Datsun and what a pile of **** it was then, at least the engines were good and the body work fell apart... so glad that i got shot of my 2.2dci for a 2.5 16v and had it converted to lpg....no worries with the motor just does not pull the caravan as good as the 2.2dci.. come on nissan sort it out... :thumbs:

·
Registered
40 Posts
silver25lpg said:
Its sad that the xtrail is such a good 4x4 the 2.2dci is 1st class and pulls like a train..but the worries over the turbo, fault codes and the like, it take nissan back to the days of Datsun and what a pile of **** it was then, at least the engines were good and the body work fell apart... so glad that i got shot of my 2.2dci for a 2.5 16v and had it converted to lpg....no worries with the motor just does not pull the caravan as good as the 2.2dci.. come on nissan sort it out... :thumbs:
Agreed the qr25 is a more reliable engine but not without there burning out vlave seat faults, especially with LPG!! I kid you not! :frown:

Egg

·
Registered
186 Posts
i know it pays to use the very best syn oil all the time...also to run it on just petrol now and again that way it reduces the risk of burn out.. but it is still a lot less money than to get a new turbo and the rest changed with the dci.... good luck to all you guys .... :thumbs:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the new suction control valve fitted today and the car feels a lot better, but I'm not counting my chickens yet.
According to the service staff 90% of the time this fixes it, again I'm not so sure.
Went to see about trade-in values today and got a bit of a shock, was only offered 5600 for it, I was hoping for about a grand more, so looks like I'll be crossing all my fingers and toes that the valve does the trick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had this problem within the first week of buying my x-trail. Took it back to they guys I bought it from and they fitted me a new air flow meter under warranty. I dont know a great deal about engines and didnt have much confidence with them (other issues which mean I will not be a repeat customer but thats another story) but it seemed to have cured the problem and that was about 6 months ago.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well so far car has been running fine, done about 1500 miles since suction control valve fitted, I may have been one of the lucky ones.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts