Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my 07 plate Columbia at the weekend and generally very pleased with it but I have noticed that it sounds like a bag of spanners when it is cold. I have bought it from nissan agent with full service history and has just been serviced. After a mile or so it sounds sweet as a nut but is very noisy when first started, it is generally noisier than previous car anyway so may just be my perception but just thought I would ask if this was normal???

Thanks for replies

Mark

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi ashtonmark,

If you look at some of the older posts, you will see this is "normal",
however it is a bit daunting when you've spent your hard earned cash
and the car sounds like a tractor... lol

I have taken mine to two main dealers who tell me mine is "no louder" than
some of the others they have heard.. They tell me the engine is noisy because
the EGR valve needs the engine to warm up before it functions properly....
As the engine warms up it then it operates quieter..

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your purchase.. :thumbs:

Regards
akastiggy

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mine sounds like a tank driving over a pile of scrap cars first thing in the morning, especially now as its getting colder. After a minute or so its fine, so yes its normal. The perils od owning a diesel Im afraid!.

G

·
I am on my second x-trail now and they all sound the same. As long as it goes when the engine warms up a bit then you dont need to worry.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nothing to worry about at all mate, Just a general Diesel thing, as the others have said as it long as it gets quieter as it warms up you'll be fine

G

·
Dont agree entirely with the 'its a diesel thing' - before anyone thinks I'm moaning - I'm not - I love my x-trail. The previous diesel I had was a Leon FR TDI at 200 bhp and you could hardly hear it when cold let alone after it had warmed up. My x-trail is embarrassingly noisy when cold (I cringe sometimes), and like others quietens when warm, but even then you can still hear a Nissan diesel coming a mile off.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is as the engine is not tuned and designed to be in a family car or jaguar,

It is a SUV, but without hearing how loud it is, it's hard to judge.

But i can assure you all nissan diesel engines are noisy and sound like dogs.

Was the same on my navara

·
Registered
30 Posts
Picked up my first X-Trail last week - and have managed 500km in it so far (I am in Switzerland).

Temperature down to -13c on Sunday - it took a moment to start - but after that it was fine. Clattery as anything when cold - and when descending a mountain pass it stayed that way for ages.

Once cruising no problems - except for the head unit that keeps skipping - but I will swap for a Pioneer unit soon.

I quite like it sounding like a tractor - it is meant to be a bit utilitarian - and that makes sense to me.

G

·
I have had 2 x 2.2 DCi X Trails both fairly new and they are without doubt the noisiest diesel you could wish to own, I like the car but the engine IMO is not a good one, with intercoolers and turbo failing at 30000 miles albeit you have serviced the car on the dot. Just like the noise the dealer thinks you should accept that this is part of owning an Xtrail, so p!!!ed off with the desiel I have just purchased a 2.5 petrol,this is silky smooth and yes it uses a bit more juice but it is IMO 10 times nicer car to drive and a couple of grand cheaper. :thumbs:

·
Registered
30 Posts
foggy said:
with intercoolers and turbo failing at 30000 miles albeit you have serviced the car on the dot
:headbang: Mine is now at 55000km (or 35000miles) - got a 1yr warranty though - might need it :lol: :lol:

G

·
dodgyken said:
Picked up my first X-Trail last week - and have managed 500km in it so far (I am in Switzerland).

Temperature down to -13c on Sunday - it took a moment to start - but after that it was fine. Clattery as anything when cold - and when descending a mountain pass it stayed that way for ages.

Once cruising no problems - except for the head unit that keeps skipping - but I will swap for a Pioneer unit soon.

I quite like it sounding like a tractor - it is meant to be a bit utilitarian - and that makes sense to me.
So the newer shape will never be an option then as it "now has a more refined engine" according to the car test web sites!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Interesting views! I drove my wife's new (sorry fresh - 06/06) Columbia 2.2 DCi last week and was very worried at this noise, which stopped once the engine had warmed up. I advised her to take it to the Nissan garage, but won't now after reading this. Thing is, I never had this on my old 04 2.2 DCi SVE or my 53 2.2 Di S. I shall be interested to see if my new 06 Aventura that I am collecting on Friday has the same anomaly.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Very pleased with my Aventura, and no extra noise when warming up! It must just be a small proportion of diesels that do this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts