Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my name's Ed, I own a 2003 Nissan Almera and have been an avid member of the Almera Owners Club (AOC) for a few years now. I'm registering here because of the shared YD22 engine and am hoping to learn a little more about servicing and modifications. I'm also known by the Nissan Primera Owners Club (NPOC) for the same reasons.

It was actually evannorfolk's X-Trail that brought me to the site. I spotted it in a Google image search and saw it was modified (not seen many X-Trails in the UK done like this) and it caught my attention, especially as it's a diesel! I know a few people around Essex so we might spot each other on the road one day. http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak- ... 2729_n.jpg

I've done a number of modifications to the car but I won't bore you with the details there as the type of car is obviously quite different :D. I have however modified the engine a little including a custom exhaust, uprated panel air filter, and custom front mount intercooler. Each mod has given me a little more MPG, and better power delivery :). I've also got some more serious plans that include a remap in the future. If anyone is looking to get more power out of your YD22 (2.2 dCi) or even more MPG I'd be happy to share what knowledge I have :)

Anyway, this is my car:

See you around the forums!

·
Registered
210 Posts
hi there, now that is what i call a clean engine, what do you use to clean it with? have you done any car audio mods? i would like to get a bit more dog power out of my engine but mostly cant afford to have the car off the road as i use it all the time. Nice clean car..
give us a list of all the mods you've done i would quite like to know?

Oh and what have you done about getting better mpg???

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome guys. WD40 and Autolgym Vinyl and Rubber Care. No audio mods as it's quite tricky in the Almera with the stereo and climate control built into one unit (silly nissan!).

Here are the mods I've done so far:

Performance:
Powerspeed (Kent) 2.5" Turbo-back mandrel bent stainless exhaust. Video of sound
Larger intercooler and 2 1/4" piping.
HEL braided brake lines, DOT 5.1 fluid.
K&N panel filter.
Cold air feed.

Handling:
BC Racing BR series coilovers.
16" OEM Nissan Enkei GTLE wheels.
Falken FK-452 front, Kuhmo KU31 rear, 205/50.
Autec lightweight (1.5kg) front strut bar.

Cosmetic:
Seat Leon Curpa R front splitter.
JDM G10 inspired front bumper, with N16 Pulsar bonnet.
P1 rear lights.
Orange calipers.
Nissan rear mudguards, colourcoded.
Tint sunstrip.
Private plate (was a present from the parents :D).
Custom car mats, metal footplate and grey piping.

Other:
Bosch Aerotwin wiper blades.
Boost Gauge.
EGT Gauge.
EGR Blanked.

The exhaust, intercooler and EGR blanking have each played a part in improving economy. By allowing the engine to breath better it's given more torque and has become much more forgiving in the higher gears. Before any mods I was getting 38mpg on average and I now get 42mpg. Remember this is without a tuning box or remap. With either of those I will see even more!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As a JAE club rep this year I was also part of a Total Nissan magazine photo shoot line up. Hopefully we'll see the article published soon :).

I recently sorted the hybrid turbo from Turbo Technics and remap at RS Tuning :)

Turbo, which I'm pleased to say I fitted myself :)

Results

The remap has given great improvement to drive, and I've seen an increase in MPG all around (when I'm not booting it lol). This is a conservative map from Paul due to unknowns in that this engine hasnt been mapped before, only Lee's YD25 D40. If it runs reliable for the next 6 months then I'll be back up for another tweak.

I've also got a new intercooler and boost pipe setup on order which will hopefully improve flow and help me crack the magic 200 :). I'm going on a rolling road meet end of next week so we shall see!

Forge Motorsport custom make the brackets to suit your application

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ahh this was great reading this, i was just searching Google for front mounted intercoolers and read this :) did make me smile lol

must say i removed the 20" rims as it was wrecking the car and joints etc...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I myself have only chipped the car which it just made the pull greater etc, it's now done 82k and i have the turbo whistle of death and a small amount of oil coming out the intercooler but so far as im aware this is normal for the mileage.

But im going to change it to a hybrid turbo and look into a front mount intercooler, Anyone know of a good front mount to use?

Cheers

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
evannorfolk01 said:
must say i removed the 20" rims as it was wrecking the car and joints etc...
I can imagine!

marksparks999 said:
missed the thread the first time around... interesting read and nice subtle mods.

Did the performance mods cause any longterm issues?
Thanks. No so far so good I've had no problems with this setup. I think the engine is very strong, our clutch and gearbox especially so. I've heard of the US Sentra owners putting well over 400whp through their boxes with no problems!

evannorfolk01 said:
I myself have only chipped the car which it just made the pull greater etc, it's now done 82k and i have the turbo whistle of death and a small amount of oil coming out the intercooler but so far as im aware this is normal for the mileage.

But im going to change it to a hybrid turbo and look into a front mount intercooler, Anyone know of a good front mount to use?

Cheers
Any plans for more tuning apart from the front mount? As I said in my PM mate I can do a full guide on what you need for a front mount. Definitely a good idea to get the hybrid turbo. Great item and Pete there is nice to deal with :)

Done quite a bit to the car since my last update. I've also got a single mass flywheel and clutch upgrade coming in a week or two, which will also be compatible with the X-Trail and Primera 2.2 DCi.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Starting the clutch and flywheel change

So much needs to be removed! On the plus side on inspection the hybrid turbo seems to be in great nick still :)

-phone-

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Exhaust off

Front engine mount, hacksaw with reversed blade, relieves tension on shell, prise out. Grease up poly mount, push in (yet to put poly mount in as I need lithium grease).

No broken vanes. Win. No excessive play either :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ouch that's risky you crazy man! Lol

Thanks yeah I've been a bit lax on updating this. While its been off the road I've taken the opportunity to do a few more things I've been wanting to for for a while.

I'll put together a post soon :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Ed, You obviously know about intercoolers. I have an x trail with a leeking intercooler (top mounted). Its an older 2003 di and the cooler is quite small. Im wondering whether to replace it with a larger version from a slightly later model. Better cooling and they cost less. I would have to modify the mounts though.
My question is would this work ok ?, Im no mechanic but I cant see any reason for it not to. Or would I need to make other adjustments to compensate ?
Any thoughts appreciated
Andy

·
Registered
34 Posts
Shame that thread has ended. I need to replace my intercooler due to the usual crimped version leaking oil. Anyone know where, or if it is possible to buy an after market front mounted intercooler? I'm not intending to do lots of "mods" Yet... But a front mounted intercooler has to be more efficient, surely??
Anyone know if "edk_n16" is still about on here?
Cheers.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
jam1e said:
Shame that thread has ended. I need to replace my intercooler due to the usual crimped version leaking oil. Anyone know where, or if it is possible to buy an after market front mounted intercooler? I'm not intending to do lots of "mods" Yet... But a front mounted intercooler has to be more efficient, surely??
Cheers.
Hi,

From his profile info, he was last on here March 2015. You can always send him a PM.

The front mounted intercooler, is on his almera, hence N16 in his forum name. No idea why you'd want to go and fit a front mounted IC on a standard X Trail engine, considering the fab work and cost. Plenty of other options available to improve the efficiency of the TMIC.

Kind regards,

Eoin

·
Registered
34 Posts
eoinsully said:
jam1e said:
Cheers.
Hi,

From his profile info, he was last on here March 2015. You can always send him a PM.

The front mounted intercooler, is on his almera, hence N16 in his forum name. No idea why you'd want to go and fit a front mounted IC on a standard X Trail engine, considering the fab work and cost. Plenty of other options available to improve the efficiency of the TMIC.

Kind regards,

Eoin
Thanks Eoin.
I wasn't thinking of using a front mounted IC necessarily to improve performance. I thought it may just be better for the engine.
And to be honest, maybe a little nostalgia from my youth when i fitted a 1 to both my STI Impreza's i had.... :oops: A lot of pain in the ass work i look back, but quite rewarding, knowing you've done it yourself.. :smile:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.