Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 2.5 auto for nearly a year and was wondering what sort of MPG other people get.

I never expected it to be great but I only average around 23 to the gallon and seem to be forever filling it up as that only gives me about 275 to the tank.

It was serviced before I had it - so I was told - I'm not a fast driver with a heavy boot and usually stay around 70 MPH on the motorways.

Was thinking of digging deep and letting Nissan service it next time its due to see if there is any improvement but if this is what they normally do I shan't bother :)

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Hi pb109197 and welcome to the forum.
I drive a 2.5 auto and am getting about 27 mpg on average - about 350 miles per tank depending on how and where it's driven. Motorway runs helps a bit but a lot of B road driving and I see the gauge dropping pretty quickly. having the air con all the time at the moment isn't helping much - I did a 430 mile run at the weekend and reckon I only got about 25 mpg. They aren't know for their frugal attributes but I think 23mpg seems a bit low. Have you checked your air filter recently - mayu be worth having a look? A good garage should be able to do as good service as a Nissan dealer - I would only go to a dealer is all else failed I'm affraid - sorry Nissan.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've got a 2.5 auto SVE and on motorway runs I can get about 30mpg with cruise control set somewhere between 75-80 and aircon on, but I use the 2WD setting.
I recently drove back from Scotland (380-odd miles) on one tank which I was very impressed with.
Town and B-road driving, and a heavy foot, really brings down the MPG though.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I have mine set on "auto" all the time and can't work out if this helps or makes the mpg worse? Have tried running it on 2WD for a week or two and didn't see a great difference. I don't know if it's true or not but it seems to handle better when in Auto - can't see how it could make it better though as 4WD still only kicks in when needed, which to be honest is just what 2WD does though !?

I do tend to be a bit heavy footed I know so may be able to save a few mpg but I enjoy driving it :smile:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yep that's what I get with my 2.5 SVE Auto. 10 to 15 round town and upto 30 on a run (if I've been a good boy).

Ruinous!

Which is why I converted it to run on LPG. No more economical but the fuels a LOT cheaper. Locally 64.9 a litre but I filled up in Ipswich last week at 58.9p a litre.

Half price motoring. :lol:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Blimey - 10 to 15 around town! Didn't think it was that low :bigcry:

Vandy - handling definitely not as good in 2WD I agree, but for motorways it's not a problem. From standing starts you easily get tyre squeal, especially if there is a slight uphill gradient. Also seems to have quite a bit of torque steer at times. As I understand it, Auto is 'close' to 2WD according to the manual, but as you say you can tell that there is a difference.

I've also put in a Pipercross filter out of curiosity more than anything to see if it improves. :roll:

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Hi Simon

I have found that in AUTO the car does handle better - don't know if it's just mine or maybe it's the Dunlop tyres, but I sem to get understeer when in 2WD. I've got a K&N filter on mine - not sure if it makes a difference but it can't be doing any harm. Agree about the wheel spin in 2WD - the manual versions would be OK but with auto you can't seem to stop it from happening - maybe too heavy footed :lol:

·
Registered
209 Posts
simonm said:
Blimey - 10 to 15 around town! Didn't think it was that low :bigcry:
Yep call me 'lead foot'.- but I simply don't care that much now.
Mixed motoring - filled up this morning -I got 27.87mpg on LPG or the petrol equivalent of 50.24 (s)miles to the gallon.

Miles 143.70 cost 15.21 PPL LPG 0.649 Bought 5.16 Gallons of LPG Cost Unleaded 1.17 4.545 Litres to the Gallon

Last week I was in Ipswich and filled up on LPG at 58.7p per litre. This morning the bloke in front of me bought £100 of Diesel for his vehicle - I'd find that kind of cost crippling. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't do that many miles fortunately, so it doesn't bother me too much. I nearly ended up having a long drive to another job and was considering an LPG conversion. Can you tell the difference when its running on LPG?

·
Registered
209 Posts
No not one bit. It is supposed to be a tad down on performance but hey it's an Automatic so will you really miss say 8 bhp?

I've had the XT up to 110 (on a private Motorway) and thats plenty for me. Still hauls itself away from rest with no noticeable difference. If your in the Chelmsford area you can take it for a spin yourself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.