Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Xtrail is squealing when I start it up and it goes after a while, until I change down then It does a squeal again until I change up into fourth gear and it goes away. Any ideas? Someone said it could be the water pump pulley??? Is this a thing?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Sounds like it could be a slipping belt, but as Ahto42 says, it's best to go to a trusted mechanic as the only real way to diagnose it is to hear it live.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Did you get it sorted yet? Yes, sounds just like the auxiliary rubber drive belt, the one you can see turning down the side of the engine. Yes, this drives various components including water pump, alternator and air conditioning. If it is worn and / or slightly loose on any car, it can slip on start up, or on gear changes as you have suggested and it will squeal. It is usually worse in cold / damp / wet weather. The belt circuit does have a tensioner to keep belt tight, so belt could be worn and needing replaced if tensioner no longer able to keep belt tight. Worn pulley bearings on water pump, idler, or tensioner etc produce more of a rattle than a squeal. It's quite a durable belt and unlikely to break, but if getting very loose, it may no longer turn alternator and battery may start to lose charge etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts