Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
20k x-trail, developed a starting fault as follows,,crank it over first thing and it can take 3 or 4 attemps before firing..my wife has had the car from new and it usually fires immediately, it has gotten progressively worse over the past week, it seems to me to be a fuel/pump or fuel pressure issue as when it does fire you can hear it come up onto 4 cylinders, almost as if the fuel filter been fitted dry and the system not primed.its now with nissan for the second time and i m getting the " its fired up no problem everytime" speech. half the reason i got her this motor was so i could put her in it and forget about it for three years....not a ****** chance!!25 years in the motor trade tells me its gonna be a problem and stop dead soon.

right, anyone been here before??

Diesel

·
Registered
31 Posts
from my understanding(from other forums) fuel filters in diesel engines seem to get dirty sooner than later. Seeing it's still under warranty, go back to the dealership and take no **** from them.... good luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers but its not a diesel filter problem, the diesel filter along with all the others are all new and genuine nissan parts, i am unfortunately for them well known now at the service dept, i was curious as to whether they had a lift pump in the tank .

diesel

·
Registered
380 Posts
Sounds like a glowplug problem,is it ok when hot?Think theres a relay who's contacts can get dirty,somewhere near the battery on T30's.Umbongo did a useful piece on this,probably on the T30 pages,sorry can't find it and don't know how to link it if I could :frown:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers , i dont have a problem with checking the glows plugs or the timer relay, my problem is two fold, there was a running fault at specific revs and speed and then the starting fault appeared and as the car is still under warranty i threw it back at them, i ll be surprised if its a glow plug fault just becuase of the nature of the fualt and how it starts.its been wth nissan on two occassions for aweek at a time, i am aware that fuel pumps were a problem on older models and wondered whether this fault had never been recitified, wrongly or rightly i m starting to get the impression that they dont know what the f=*k they are doing. my fuse has almost run its course and i will react accordingly.

Diesel

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't know much about these things but from reading the Australian XTrail forum it seems that they are prone to two problems which might give the effects you are seeing, I would guess a web search might turn up more info but from what I've read either a faulty crank position sensor of a dirty throttle body seem to be at the root of a lot of starting problems. I suspect that in Oz there was a recall on the crank position sensor but that removing and cleaning the throttle body is seen as a non-warranty fix and so is chargable. Worth at least discussing these options with your dealer.

Edited to add that my understanding is that the fuel filter is in the petrol tank and doesn't get replaced until something like 60,000 miles so unless you got very dirty fuel it might not be in the frame.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well watch this space, on friday i had "words" with the service manager and expressed my irritation and anger at the fact that on 2 occassions the car has been in and i have described the faults in detail and all they have done on both occassions is plug in the diagnostic tool and looked for the magic finger to float down and point to the problem, i have untill this point refused to get involved on a mechanical level because i bought it new for 27k 2 yrs ago and as far as i am concerned its under warranty. the problem is 2 fold firstly, its warranty, so it gets pushed to the back of the pile untill "paying" work is done, secondly a lack of aptittude and customer care. if i have to investiagate it personally myself in my own workshop i will name and shame the dealer involved and pursure them and nissan for financial recompence.

in fact bollocks, its COLLIERS NISSAN, WARWICK RD.

on a lesser level i pointed out on the first week long visit that the high level brake light had water ingress and had a green tide mark as a result and wanted this replaced, bearing in mind its a clear lens,,,and it had gone green, the technician reported " no fault found" i asked how hard is it to stand and look.. its gone green ffs!! this is the level of service you can expect from the dealer...

ok rant over, i ll post any change in situation.

Diesel

·
Registered
112 Posts
rjm16 said:
Can anyone tell me were to find the glow plugs on the M9R engine?
If you need to know this, I'd suggest you get one of the £3.50 Nissan Workshop Manuals of of Fleabay? Very useful (and cheap).

·
Registered
112 Posts
dieselmotion said:
cheers , i dont have a problem with checking the glows plugs or the timer relay, my problem is two fold, there was a running fault at specific revs and speed and then the starting fault appeared and as the car is still under warranty i threw it back at them, i ll be surprised if its a glow plug fault just becuase of the nature of the fualt and how it starts.its been wth nissan on two occassions for aweek at a time, i am aware that fuel pumps were a problem on older models and wondered whether this fault had never been recitified, wrongly or rightly i m starting to get the impression that they dont know what the f=*k they are doing. my fuse has almost run its course and i will react accordingly.

Diesel
Can you tell me what the running fault was? I have a similar poor start issue. It's only occasional so I can't put it down to the (non-genuine) filter I used when replacing the existing one, but the problems didn't happen before then. I primed the system and it started fine, this behaviour only began a couple of weeks after. I've just done the bleed 'nipple' near the fuel pump and haven't had a problem, yet. I could generally always reproduce the fault by giving it some throttle when cranking, or a demand for power (pulling out of a junction quickly) soon after starting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have a 2006 T30 2,2 dci. It always started first turn, then in january randomly started cranking over but not firing. Bump starting did not help at all and it cranked over perfectly. This was perfectly random, nothing to do with temperature, damp or how long it had been standing. I took it to my local trusted garage telling them I though it was fuel starvation - to be told that they are the mechanics not me! lol. They had the car there for 2 weeks, using it to travel to and from the garage every morning and it would not misbehave. The day I went to collect it, they phoned me and said it had done it. Just as randomly after they left it is started fine. They checked out the NATs system and key, the earth strap and following advice from the local Nissan dealer changed the crank position sensor. This made no difference at all. I fitted a second earth strap just to be sure, no change. Eventually after checking on a forum, I came to the conclusion that it may be the SCV. I started pumping the primer at the fuel filter every time it didn't start and that has worked now since about February. However, I am now needing up to 50 pumps to get it started where it was about 15 and it is required more often than previously. I decided to change the SCV, but on further research it would appear that there are further symptoms to a faulty SCV that I am not encountering. My X trail does not suffer with hunting, poor acceleration or rough idling. It may be worth you trying pumping the primer to see whether that helps you, but does anyone have any ideas that may help me?
Any help gratefully received.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts