Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Looking for some expert advice.

I'm looking to buy a 2008 Diesel X-Trail (45k on the clock). After numerous test drives I really think the car is for me.
However, it will mostly be used for short runs and will probably only cover around 6,000 miles a year.

Doing my online research, I'm worried that I'll be spending a lot of money on a car the won't be suitable for short trips and low annual mileage because of the DPF issues. Obviously the dealer says there is nothing to worry about as he just wants to make the sale.

After 16 years of trouble free motoring in RAV4's (sorry if that's blashpemy on an X-Trail forum) I want to make sure the car is suitable for the job.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Hi Ghostwriter, welcome to the forum, i have had no issues with mine , at all
just get the dealer to put in writing, if you have any problems they will fix it free of charge ,as" theres nothing to worry about"
let us know how you get on

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I think your dealer is being optimistic. My light came on at 12k miles, then 12.5k miles (a bit odd that) then not till recently at 24k miles.
Google DPF problems and you will find lots of problems with lots of makes.
Ask at the nissan service desk what they do with new XTs, I think they have done a mod involving an extra injector or something in the exhaust, vaguely remember seeing this somewhere.

Remember you have to drive it at about 50mph / 3k rpm for about 12 miles when it comes on, nice if you are in an inner city or like I was on a remote Scottish island!

If I didn't tow, I would buy a petrol car next time.

2008 T31, 171 bhp. 25k miles

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think the dpf light on problem is only a problem on the early 2008 models.

Consider this, my 2009 FEB model 171bhp has just sailed through its test.

Has only covered 18.6K miles, mainly short trips locally, or towing.

And i have never seen a DPF light up.

In fact i recently checked it to make sure it worked.

Note however, that i do very little city driving, just town.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
bryncrug225 said:
Dealer re-programmed ours (Nissan "recall") a while ago - should light now come on you only need to travel at a much lower speed for a shorter time to clear.
Interesting, I have not had a recall? Was it done during a service? Mine is due for a service next month and for the first time I was considering going to a local independent maily to avoid a 50 mile round trip. But if they can offer a recall software update I might change my mind.

Has the recall got any reference number?

Touch wood I have not had the DPF light come on for 7 months / 4500 miles, but last weekend I did get the burning rubber smell after a motorway trip (classic DPF burn characteristic), so perhaps it is behaving and regenerating as it should. My low milage over the winter months is because we mainly do short journies in the non caravaning season and use my wife Saxo instead.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
chrisuk said:
bryncrug225 said:
Dealer re-programmed ours (Nissan "recall") a while ago - should light now come on you only need to travel at a much lower speed for a shorter time to clear.
Interesting, I have not had a recall? Was it done during a service? Mine is due for a service next month and for the first time I was considering going to a local independent maily to avoid a 50 mile round trip. But if they can offer a recall software update I might change my mind.

Has the recall got any reference number?

Touch wood I have not had the DPF light come on for 7 months / 4500 miles, but last weekend I did get the burning rubber smell after a motorway trip (classic DPF burn characteristic), so perhaps it is behaving and regenerating as it should. My low milage over the winter months is because we mainly do short journies in the non caravanning season and use my wife Saxo instead.
I would not have thought this an official recall as it is not safety related.

But it could have been in a recommendation that Nissan do at the next available service.

Best is to ring a Nissan dealer and ask.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.