Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of fitting 235 60 18's tyres to my 2011 Tekna rims.
Who has done this and was there any contact with inner arches/wings/trims etc?

Thanks..
(Images appreciated :cool: (y))

·
Registered
2,919 Posts

Mine are. No problemos.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting, and thanks for your reply.

A move either way could be defined as "in the wrong direction".

"My X-Trail" reads my speed at 70mph whilst onboard GPS systems (two different units) give readings of 65 & 66mph.
My vehicle currently has 225 55 18's fitted.
I found information that suggests fitting 235 60 18's in place of 225 55 18's would give a speedo reading changes from 70mph to 73.4mph and therefore not outside of my reasonable due care and attention whilst pottering around on UK public roads.

Happy to chat further, however what I am interested to know is clearly stated in my post..

"Who has done this and was there any contact with inner arches/wings/trims etc?"

Kind regards.. :cool:

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Your speedo will be out in the wrong direction. You'll be travelling faster than speedo shows!!!! At 70 you'll be dong 73.5mph............ SPECS cameras may catch you out.
Not with my case.
My reading showed with factory tyres 225/55 R18 +7kmh, Speedo showed 100km/h, gps showed 93km/h.
Now, with the Michelin Latitude cross 235/60 R18 it shows +2km/h. That means speedo shows 100km/h. GPS 98kmh
My studded winter tyres are 225/60 R18 is +5km/h. Speedo 100km/h, GPS 95km/h

·
Registered
2,919 Posts

"My X-Trail" reads my speed at 70mph whilst onboard GPS systems (two different units) give readings of 65 & 66mph.
I found information that suggests fitting 235 60 18's in place of 225 55 18's would give a speedo reading changes from 70mph to 73.4mph and therefore not outside of my reasonable due care and attention whilst pottering around on UK public roads.

Happy to chat further, however what I am interested to know is clearly stated in my post..

"Who has done this and was there any contact with inner arches/wings/trims etc?"

Did you read my post?

·
Registered
418 Posts

I know it sounds stupid but be careful as you'll find your insurance is void in UK...........................most insurance companies need to know if you are changing away from original spec i.e. that size tyre is not on door pillar or standard tyre size. If they don't know they'll assume standard 225/55 x 18. My insurance company LV said thanks for letting them know I use all weather tyres as that's a change to standard spec...................just be aware for your own peace if mind as they'll try hardest not to pay out!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know it sounds stupid but be careful as you'll find your insurance is void in UK...........................most insurance companies need to know if you are changing away from original spec i.e. that size tyre is not on door pillar or standard tyre size. If they don't know they'll assume standard 225/55 x 18. My insurance company LV said thanks for letting them know I use all weather tyres as that's a change to standard spec...................just be aware for your own peace if mind as they'll try hardest not to pay out!!
I'm long in the tooth with bespoke 4x4 & motorcycle insurance, but thanks for the thought ;)(y)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts