Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to this forum and X-Trail's so not sure of the diff between T30 & T31.

Anyway, I'm in the process of buying a 06 DCi X-Trail. The problem is I've just discovered Nissan made a 2WD version only and the one I'm buying appears to be one of these. The main reason for the SUV is to occasionally tow a car transporter and for the load space in the back but most of the time it will live on the road. My question (I know I took a long time to get there :D ) is I wont really be doing any serious off-road, maybe the very occasional wet/muddy field. Will the 2WD version very quickly run out of talent or can it still handle a bit of off-road. What do you think should I forget about this car and get one with 4x4. Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Unless there is a big difference financially, I would forget that particular one and go for the 4 wheel drive version. Mine - like most others really, is on the road most of the time. Sometimes however I will be crossing muddy fields, farm tracks etc and thats when the 4 wheel drive option comes into its own. Stuck in a muddy field at the side of a river 130 miles from home is not the best situation to be in. It happened to me once and a Jeep Cherokee literally dragged me out. Hopefully now I have an X-Trail this wont happen and I feel confident it wont. Why put yourself in that situation, when it can be avoided!
Hope that helps ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Graham,

Just what I've been thinking, I think a 2WD SUV is as much use as a chocolate teapot. I've had a RAV-4 and Vitara and both have been off road, mainly muddy fields etc and its good to know the vehicle has the capability even if you don't use it every day. I reckon it could be quite embarrassing if I got it stuck on my drive after the first fall of snow :oops: . Will be looking for a 'proper' 4x4.

Just out of interest does anyone know if it was only the SE model that was available in 2WD or could the Sport model be 2WD (2006) bit confused as I've read the Sport was done away with after 2005 but still seem to be advertised as such.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts