Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to this forum. I was wondering if anyone could explain when to / when not to use the 4WD Lock setting. We have had a fair bit of snow recently and i was thinking about using it. I normally use the 4WD Auto setting. Do you get any more out of the car with the 4WD Lock. Can you use it at speed?

When I bought the car last year, this was not explained by the sales person, and I do not have a user manual!

The car is a 2004 T-SPEC.

Hope someone can help

Cheers

Sean

·
Registered
186 Posts
the lock setting is only to be used in the mud or snow when all four wheels are slipping slow speed do not use at speed or your in trouble. the auto setting works like this.. it will send power to all 4 wheels if a wheel spin is found.... :thumbs:

·
Registered
34 Posts
i got mine properly stuck in auto setting at the weekend in 18" to 2' of snow. i was delivering to a customer and had a trailer on the back.

got stuck on a hairpin on a hill. backed up a but put it into lock stalled a few times at first then got revs up and away i went. was impressed. i then realised that i only have road tyres on too so was even more impressed.

·
Registered
115 Posts
2 wd is 2 front wheel drive
Auto is 2 front and then 2+2 when front slips - proportional to slippage
Lock is all 4 only use when slow and in slippy conditions as it will build up torsion in the axles as the differentials are locked, although interestingly it automatically unlocks when going over 50kph...and goes in to auto mode! and then relocks at under 40kph....wish it said mph but I suppose just look at the other bit of the dial...lol...

Hope this helps

Robbo

·
Registered
115 Posts
you can switch 2wd to auto at any speed as the control is electronic not actual gearing, as for lock this should be done ideally at about 1mph just to ease in the diff before you stop to then pull off with diffs lock - in effect if you switch when stopped it doesn't matter anyway...as its electronic.

Main thing is NOT to use lock on tarmac that is dry or slightly wet, only use on very slippy so not to get torsion wind up in the axles... :thumbs:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would put in lock if there is icy condition... we get a lot of this here in Canada and the
auto is good but if I know the distant I am going will be mainly icy... it's goes on...

Also locked 4wd is good when you are off roading.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I leave mine in 2wd all the time except for when the roads get icy, then I put it in auto, never used the car off road.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is there any benefit leaving in 2wd for economy? I thought in auto it would be in 2wd until loss of traction would be detected and then goes into 4wd?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry still don't understand why the mpg is better in 2wd. If in normal driving conditions it would be 2wd 99.9 % of the time surely it would be just as economical to have in auto with the reasurance of 4wd if needed?

·
Registered
115 Posts
mpg is better in 2wd as 4x4 never cuts in...you have to be so smooth on pulling away as to not engage 4x4 even if its only momentarilly.
But auto from my experience and its 70k in current xt 2.2dci, that auto does use a bit, but only 1 or 2 mpg on 100 mile or so, and in the winter its worth it.

BUT, so many peeps think that 4x4 will save you in the ice...err..nope....when 4x4 locked and front loses grip then back keeps going - if in a slide then that can cause more trouble - a 4x4 power slide is great fun but can be dodgy if obstacles about...besides if its that icy - as indeed its been over the last couple of days then you should be going slowly enough to counteract any slides...

Rob

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I've done identical trips on the motorway 2x4 (2WD) and 4x4 and can see no difference in mpg. Probably as someone above said in 4x4 it is very rarely driving all 4 wheels. One advantage I find with 4x4 is coming out of junctions if it is a bit geasey it is far smother and less dramatic, i.e. no front wheel scrabble / tourque steer. Generally however I tend when dry to keep it in 2x4 just in case it uses less fuel / gives less wear, but I don't think it does.
Lock is only if you grind to a halt in muddy / snowy conditions to help you get back to better surfaces. I rather suspect that with the road biased tyres we fit in the UK this might not help too much.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
There seems to be 2 treads going on this. Anyone know what the actual difference is between 2wd and auto, according to the hand book when it is in 2wd it will go into 4x4 of its own accord if the front wheels are slipping. Perhaps in auto it simply does this earlier?

·
Registered
186 Posts
RIGHT... 2x is the front wheels and if its a bit wet and you pull out of a junction a bit fast the front wheels will spin becauase of the torque and weight of the vechicle, but if you leave it in auto the power will go to all the wheels front pulling and rear pushing but as soon as the power has been reduced the front wheels take all the load and its 2x again. the mpg is not a great difference but the safety issue is, drive in auto that way if you need it you got it....also some threads on here have said that the 4x has stopped working when it has been switched off for a long time...this might be due to the rear diff has not been used for a long time...
:eek:fftopic: thats what i tell the wife if it does not get used then it will not work when you want it...LOL

·
Registered
60 Posts
I keep mine in auto almost all the time. I couldnt care less for MPG to be honest. Whats the point of having a 4x4 if you never use it. I'd rather loose a few MPG and have the benefit of 4x4 on tap than save a few a few MPG and be screwed when I need the 4x4 and its not there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah just re read the manual. In 2wd it can slip into 4wd if accelerating fast from a junction, doesn't say anything about it going into 4wd periodicly when driving so guess the best bet is to have it in auto as don't think there would be much mpg to gain from being in 2wd.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.