Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Not sure if it's the same on the T30 - but on T31 with i4x4, there actually no way to lock it exclusively into 2WD - as if slip is detected, vehicle will put into 4x4 anyhow...

Seems that the dial '2WD' setting is merely 'slower slip detect mode', whilst 'Auto 4x4' is 'quick slip detect mode' - ie. in either, the vehicle will actually use 2WD as much as it can, until it detects slippage of the front wheels, at which point rears will also be powered.

4WD Lock is just for use under 30 mph - and for using the Downhill Descent mode.

...So, we keep in Auto. :thumbs:

Aitch

·
Registered
651 Posts
From what I understand on my T30, The AUTO setting will drive along in front wheel drive unless slip is detected or more power is needed (ie: on an incline or towing a caravan/trailer) in which case 4WD will automatically kick in and then return to 2WD when grip has been re-established or you go over 30kph. 2WD is permanent front wheel drive and 4WD LOCK is using all 4 wheels to drive (no matter whether it's needed or not) until you go over 30kph where it will switch back to 2WD... is that right?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
shaymeboy said:
From what I understand on my T30, The AUTO setting will drive along in front wheel drive unless slip is detected or more power is needed (ie: on an incline) in which case 4WD will automatically kick in and then return to 2WD when grip has been re-established or you go over 30kph. 2WD is permanent front wheel drive and 4WD LOCK is using all 4 wheels to drive (no matter whether it's needed or not) until you go over 30kph where it will switch back to 2WD... is that right?
That's my understanding Shay, although I personally would only use 4WD LOCK in off road or deep snow conditions and not generally on tarmac, irrespective of the speed. :thumbs:

Best wishes, John

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Sorry Vandy,

Can we just review this thread, I may be wrong and having read the handbook I think I am even more confused... :confused: :oops:

From the Repair manual I have copied this attachment. :thumbs:

View attachment XTrail AWD System.doc

Could you please have a read... I thought if you are in 2WD nothing would happen if a wheel looses grip... Now I am not so sure? :oops:

Best wishes, John

Attachments

·
Registered
646 Posts
As per my post in another thread, my understanding is that 2WD mode is effectively 'slow slip detect > 4WD' and Auto Mode is 'rapid slip detect > 4WD' (with additional ESP on the T31) - so, I can't really see the point of not simply using Auto all the time, especially since it reportedly makes very little difference to the MPG...

So far as I can see, there is no way to 'lock' an Exxy into 'just' 2WD...assuming it's a 4WD-capable model.

Aitch

·
Registered
651 Posts
Aitch said:
As per my post in another thread, my understanding is that 2WD mode is effectively 'slow slip detect > 4WD' and Auto Mode is 'rapid slip detect > 4WD' (with additional ESP on the T31) - so, I can't really see the point of not simply using Auto all the time, especially since it reportedly makes very little difference to the MPG...

So far as I can see, there is no way to 'lock' an Exxy into 'just' 2WD...assuming it's a 4WD-capable model.

Aitch
The T30's do... well mine does... 2WD is as it states, 2 wheel drive :-?

Edit: Just back read Vandy's comment and then John's literature regarding this. I stand corrected :oops: I didn't know that even in 2WD that my XT still selects 4WD (or AWD as stated in the text) when slip is detected or if the 'accelerator is depressed firmly'... You live and learn :whistle:

Thanks for the education Vandy :thumbs:

·
Registered
646 Posts
Further to that point, tho' - WHY would one ever buy a 4WD vehicle, and then purposefully use only half its available traction...unless it mashed the consumption?! :shock: :?: :mrgreen:

Aitch

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't know about the deisel but the petrol model you can definately feel the car grip the road firmer when switching from 2wd to 4wd. It's a completely different drive. Thing is. in 4wd it's so thirsty, it's like licking the sweat of a bulls nuts!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I keep mine in AUTO all the time. I've tried in 2WD and given it some stick and the 4WD does kick in when needed. In 2WD I get wheel spin when starting off in loose gravel, etc., but in AUTO, no problem at all and no wheel spin. I think it is the sensitivity of the settings between 2WD & AUTO that is the difference but like so many others, can't really see the huge difference between the two.

Have tried driving in both 2 & AUTO and it made no difference at all to fuel consumption so I reckoned that keeping it in AUTO was best.

Hope this helps?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Hello shaymeboy,

Very poetic.. :biggrin:

I must admit I use the Auto more in wintery conditions, and yes you do feel the extra push when the 4WD comes in. :thumbs:

Best wishes, John

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.