Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent quite a lot of today driving in thick snow like most of us have, a couple of things stuck in my mind,
Number 1, I struggled like hell to drive up a reasonably steep hill, 4x4 lock etc etc only to see a Citroen saxo absolutely sail it 15 minutes later?? :confused:
Number 2, after trying everything in the book, the only way to clear (every) window inside was to use the internal windscreen wipers!!!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Trouble with diesel they produce so much low down torque which is not what you want in snow. My grip is that the whole of the country has had snow to play with except my part of Warwickshire. Snow almost always misses us (I suppose I will get a dump tomorrow)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did try that, had it in 4x4 lock and slowly pressed the pedal but I didnt move an inch!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well my X is the third 4x4 I've owned, previous Yota LC and VX Frontera, but this X leaves them both for dead in this weather.

Its been so good, I have been picking people up around Manchester and bringing them into work and dropping them off again.

The intelligent 4 wheel drive system is just so good and then the lock if u need it, I have not/never got stuck once and I have been in all sorts of conditions, anyone who knows Bolton will know how thick the snow can get up there.

Trust me, if your X is not getting you through the snow and ice, there is something wrong with it!!!

Theres only one thing I would have appreciated and that is a heated front screen.

Otherwise top vehicle and It has done me proud this last week or so.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On the whole mine was superb, the area in Oldham I was in has had over 12 inches of snow, there was no getting up that hill like that Saxo did, it didnt appear to have snow tyres on either.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi, I'm sure you probably had your air-con on but just incase you didn't, it works for me!
I have never tried the internal air circulation only though, I wonder how that would do?
As for snow I have only ever used 2wd, letting my car pull up hills its self in first with my foot off the accelerator.
I must admit it was only 2.5" -3" deep

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The air circulating around the car would not help at all, the moisture would have nowhere to go.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
evannorfolk said:
had my x trail out in the snow and no problems at all 4 wheel lock and esp off...

Little video of it here....
Mine was like that on the flat, superb in fact - it was the steep incline it couldn't handle.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just out of curiosity, I have just read a post in problems/bugs where the car was in 4x4 lock and when the accelerator was pressed the car wouldn't move at all like the brakes were on - that's what was happening to me, when I said in an earlier reply I didn't move an inch - I didn't. Could there be a underlying problem with it? Is it supposed to kick in immediately or should I have switched it on a minute or so before turning into this steep incline?

·
Registered
28 Posts
crazyhazy said:
Just out of curiosity, I have just read a post in problems/bugs where the car was in 4x4 lock and when the accelerator was pressed the car wouldn't move at all like the brakes were on - that's what was happening to me, when I said in an earlier reply I didn't move an inch - I didn't. Could there be a underlying problem with it? Is it supposed to kick in immediately or should I have switched it on a minute or so before turning into this steep incline?
Ahhhhh I was thinking along those same lines when I first read your post, I think you need to try it again mate, you will be OK engaging 4wd lock on the dry and straight and then see if you can set off. Just dont go to far on the dry stuff with lock on and dont take any bends.

Maybe its not been used often and gets stuck, a good thing I remember from my off roading days in my LC was people always saying use your 4x4 and diff locks always throughout the year, better off finding it doesnt work in the summer than when your stuck in a snow drift ;-)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Dave B said:
crazyhazy said:
Ahhhhh I was thinking along those same lines when I first read your post, I think you need to try it again mate, you will be OK engaging 4wd lock on the dry and straight and then see if you can set off. Just dont go to far on the dry stuff with lock on and dont take any bends.

Maybe its not been used often and gets stuck, a good thing I remember from my off roading days in my LC was people always saying use your 4x4 and diff locks always throughout the year, better off finding it doesnt work in the summer than when your stuck in a snow drift ;-)
It was my post where I said the car seemed stuck when 4x4 lock was engaged. It all works fine now. I think it may have just been stuck from underuse. It is still quite stiff when driving in 4x4, especially pulling away but thats normal I think as you have more resistance through the 4 wheels.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm down south at the moment but on the coast, there isnt a great deal of snow. After work tonight I am going to have a drive inland and find some snow and give it another go. I think it might be a good idea to have a sticky thread here with the do's and dont's of driving in 4x4 lock - just a thought Scottie!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
crazyhazy said:
I'm down south at the moment but on the coast, there isnt a great deal of snow. After work tonight I am going to have a drive inland and find some snow and give it another go. I think it might be a good idea to have a sticky thread here with the do's and dont's of driving in 4x4 lock - just a thought Scottie!!!
You dont need to be on snow or any slippery stuff to try it mate, especially just seeing if you can move with it engaged.

It should lock straight away and u should be able to move off.

If it wont move with lock on, then theres a problem somewhere.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok thanks for that, I will try it later and report back!! Secondly, looking back I think I was being a bit harsh with the de-misting, there was three of us in the car, we had just been rolling around in the snow and we were all wet through :roll:

·
Registered
28 Posts
crazyhazy said:
Ok thanks for that, I will try it later and report back!! Secondly, looking back I think I was being a bit harsh with the de-misting, there was three of us in the car, we had just been rolling around in the snow and we were all wet through :roll:
yeah you were, hehehe, If I get in with wet hair I have the same problem.

TBH my heater settings are always on auto, set at 23 c with outside air flow selected, I just hit the defog button when needed and then knock it off again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.