Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Came to my 2007/8 T31 X-Trail 30 mins ago and saw an amber light on the dashboard (photo attached). First time I have seen this (or any other warning light on the Xy - full dealer service history).

Shut down engine and started it again in case it was maybe a one off and would clear but the light stayed on for the 5 mile journey home.

Any ideas what would cause this? I am not a mechanic, so would you recommend heading to my nearest ASAP?

TIA

Del

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
That is the engine management light. I would recommend you get it checked out as soon as possible. It may be nothing serious, but on the other hand it could be. Any half-decent garage or even a friend with a diagnostic tester could get a fault code and see what the problem is. I would not drive the car very far until you find out.

·
Registered
366 Posts
No problem.
I once had mine come on in my Volvo V70. Had it checked out and was told it was the boost pressure solenoid valve, so I replaced it. Very easy job that took me 10 minutes. The light stayed out for 2 days so I took it back and had it checked again. Same problem again! I assumed the replacement one was faulty so I sent it back and got another one, which I then fitted. That one lasted about half a mile before the light came on again. All through all of this the car ran perfectly. As two different garages couldn't find what was wrong with it, in the end I decided to ignore it and the light remained on for a further 5 years and 50,000 miles. Each time I took it for its MOT the tester put the light out for me but it always came back on during the drive home. I never did find out what it was and I sold the car with it on, still driving perfectly. I don't know whether the new owner ever found out what it was, but the car is still on the road and has done another 50,000 miles since, according to the vehicle licencing website.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The engine management light can come on for a number of reasons - many of them simple and (relatively) cheap to sort. Sticky EGR is one common one which comes to mind. The sooner that you know the sooner your peace of mind and the less chance of damage. As Bus-man suggests, any half way decent garage can connect up a fault reader and give you a list of fault codes with probable causes. You could also buy a cheap reader dongle for use with a smartphone for £10-£20, but not a lot of use unless you understand the implications of a fault code.

If you google "ECU fault code reset T31" you'll find a number of suggestions of ways in which to manually reset the code without additional hardware. They mainly involve switching ignition on and off inside a certain time, pressing brake or accelerator multiple times/holding down etc. Shouldn't do any harm, but no idea whether they work or not. If a temporary issue, resetting the light may be the answer. However, if it comes straight back up then the sooner that you get a garage to look at it the better.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, update.

Took it to local garage as they said bring it in and it would take 5 mins to run the diagnostics.

They unfortunately could not contact the ECU but could the ABS and Airbag, so it is booked in for next week where they will have to find out what is going.

They suspected the warning light and them not being able to communicate via their diagnostics gadget were connected though.

Any ideas ahead of them looking into it? They asked how it was running and I said perfectly and that AFAIK all electrics were working fine.

Cheers

Del

·
Registered
399 Posts
Odd they can only communicate with ABS & airbag. That doesn't make sense and I wouldn't accept a faulty warning light.

I've had mine (T31 Facelift so different display) come on a few times and car runs perfectly. If I cancel with my simple Autel scanner I can bring up loads of stuff and can cancel it. Light stays off for a round 4 drives and then comes on. Mine brings up codes P0487 and P0488 which refer to the EGR. Garage took the top off mine and found it virtually clean and suspect one of the 2 sensors is faulty so mines going in couple of weeks away and they'll replace them. Car runs fine and DPF is doing re-gens ok so suspect sensors. This could easily be your issue as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will be taking the exy into the garage tomorrow to find out why the warning light.

New bit of info - my brother spotted one of the brake lights wasn't working yesterday. The mechanic when I originally took the car in for a quick diagnostic test (which he couldn't do cause he couldn't connect properly) ask if all was ok with the electrical system. I said it was as far as I was aware.

I googled to see if the brake light not working and the engine warning light could somehow be related and found this on an Australia forum - was wondering what folks thought here?

"Re: Malfunction Indicator (Dashboard Engine Warning Light)

I had same problem and after consulting user manual and getting no indication of nature of problem, took it to my local Nissan dealer fearful of an expensive repair.

Despite mention earlier in this thread of "interpreting ECU error codes", the Nissan Service advisor said he recalled that the "Engine malfunction" indicator is typically triggered by a blown brake light fuse (particularly if you've been towing a trailer with lights).

I thought it odd that a warning light as dire-sounding as "Engine malfunction" should "normally" be caused by something so trivial as a fuse but he took a look at the vehicle in the service drive and sure enough, blown fuse. "

Cheers

Del

·
Registered
366 Posts
deltrotter said:
Will be taking the exy into the garage tomorrow to find out why the warning light.

New bit of info - my brother spotted one of the brake lights wasn't working yesterday. The mechanic when I originally took the car in for a quick diagnostic test (which he couldn't do cause he couldn't connect properly) ask if all was ok with the electrical system. I said it was as far as I was aware.

I googled to see if the brake light not working and the engine warning light could somehow be related and found this on an Australia forum - was wondering what folks thought here?

"Re: Malfunction Indicator (Dashboard Engine Warning Light)

I had same problem and after consulting user manual and getting no indication of nature of problem, took it to my local Nissan dealer fearful of an expensive repair.

Despite mention earlier in this thread of "interpreting ECU error codes", the Nissan Service advisor said he recalled that the "Engine malfunction" indicator is typically triggered by a blown brake light fuse (particularly if you've been towing a trailer with lights).

I thought it odd that a warning light as dire-sounding as "Engine malfunction" should "normally" be caused by something so trivial as a fuse but he took a look at the vehicle in the service drive and sure enough, blown fuse. "

Cheers

Del
Very strange! Never heard of anything like that before. I would think it odd too as the brake lights don't have anything to do with the engine, so why would you get an engine malfunction warning if the fault was in the brake lights? Also, does that mean that each brake light is separately fused, as you say that only one wasn't working?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, got the exy back from the garage.

Nothing to do with the brake light bulb.

Reason for not being able to connect to the diagnostics in the first place was because the mechanic was testing it as a T30 rather than T31 (it is a 57 plate and that caught him out - to be fair he was in the middle of another job when I popped into the garage).

So, once connected to the diagnostics it came back saying it was the injectors/glow plugs.

They have reset and said see if it comes back. If it does they will replace.

Have been told I'll likely notice it in the winter on cold days when trying to start the engine.

Cheers

Del

·
Registered
366 Posts
That must be a relief that it's nothing major.

Not surprised they couldn't connect if they were testing it as the wrong model. :-?

Not surprised it was nothing to do with the brake lights either. They are nothing to do with the engine.

Thanks for the update, it may help someone with a similar problem.

·
Registered
523 Posts
deltrotter said:
Thanks bus-man - yes, a relief!

I'll post back if this problem progresses/reoccurs.
Usually the glowplug light on vehicles will stay on if a problem occurs with them .If there is a possibility it is them then you can check the glowplugs yourself easy enough with a multi -meter for resistance .Now I have checked them in the past with them still in the engine too ,and found a bad one ,the same as having one out and on the bench to test.
It's worth learning how to do it and there are some youtube videos to show you how to check them . Give it a go :thumbs:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts