Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got a tap , tap , tap ( 3times) when engine ticking over from low down. Frequency doesn't match belt speed , three taps about once every second or just under, does increase with slight revs, then disappears with higher . Had a long bar to my ear against the sump, (and everything else i can reach) and just the normal "whirring" , no tap, tap , tap.Been looking for info but can't seem to find anyone that has done the bearings on the whole site? Questions like , can it be done with engine in situ, mechanic costs for such a job etc come to mind. Anyone any ideas for my 2005 2.2 dci ?
Edit. Runs and ticks over fine
2nd Edit. Can't work out why the "taps" are not at the same speed/time as a revolution of the crank pully. They're not as often?

·
Registered
2002 Nissan X-Trail T30, 2.0 SE+
81 Posts
Changed them on a 1.3 litre 1984 Nissan Cherry back in the 1990's. I took the head off, and sump off then unbolted from there. I think at the time I took the head back off to do the piston rings.

·
Registered
588 Posts
To be honest, probably easier and less costly if getting a garage to do the work, if you get the engine out and stick a decent secondhand one back in if it is the bearings. I really wouldn't bother trying to repair .If you go down the engine route then the wiring loom can be disconnected and pulled through the bulkhead.

·
Registered
2002 Nissan X-Trail T30, 2.0 SE+
81 Posts
To be honest, probably easier and less costly if getting a garage to do the work, if you get the engine out and stick a decent secondhand one back in if it is the bearings. I really wouldn't bother trying to repair .If you go down the engine route then the wiring loom can be disconnected and pulled through the bulkhead.
I agree, back then I did a lot of various different strip down and build jobs that was learning the trade at college and on my own car. Now many cars have parts that are changed as major components, Gone are the days of tuning up carbs, distributors, valve clearances etc.
Probably quicker to do an engine swap

1 - 4 of 4 Posts