Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My T31 has been off the road for a few months for major repair. Read about that in relevant post.
Mechanic has it almost ready, however the only fault he can see now, possibly unrelated, is a drip from the manual gearbox weep hole.
He set a sheet of paper underneath it overnight, see attached photo. It does not appear to be oil from main shaft seal.
The only other fluid we know of in there is the hydraulic clutch. However reservoir level does not appear to have dropped.
Has anyone else had any history of this or any other suggestions?
Has anyone ever had a failure of hydraulic clutch seal?
Now, this drip may not be new as car always had the plastic engine and fluid absorption panel fitted and so I would never have noticed such a drip before.
This panel is currently off for other described repair work.
Mechanic did use a mechanism to keep clutch pedal pressed overnight but the drip did not increase.
There's a very slight possibility that it is just dirty water that has gotten in there as a result of car being off road and sitting outside for many months and has run out after car moved.
I think mechanic also washed engine.
Will monitor, but considering whether to gamble and ignore it.
Automotive tire Wood Liquid Rim Metal
Robe hook Body jewelry Jewellery Wood Metal

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Actually, I should specify that it isn't exactly the gearbox, but the bottom of the clutch bell housing where it joins the gearbox I think.
I haven't actually seen it myself, but I am going by the pictures that the mechanic has sent me.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahto42, Now I believe that the drip is NOT coming from the gearbox. Its coming from the bottom of the clutch bell housing. Do you know what that might be?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do believe its likely to be a very small quantity of clutch fluid that has seeped out over time and lay in a crevice of the bell housing when car was off the road for a few months.
However, no, the reservoir level does not appear to have dropped, so quantity lost must be very small.
On this car I believe its all the same reservoir and fluid for the clutch, brakes and power steering?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts