Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maxx Raxx suggest that secondary support straps are mounted to `vehicles` roof bars.
As mine has no roof bars as such - just the rear end cross bar, I wondered if this was bolted directly to the chassis directly (underneath the plastic side runners) & would take the limited weight?

Seconday straps fitting video from RaxxMazz with rationale FYI=
http://www.maxxraxx.co.uk/Videos/Instru ... video.html

- I have asked Nissan HQ & my local dealership the same question by email today, but I am guessing they wont commit an anwser to paper - just in case...

Many thanks in advance

·
Registered
241 Posts
i have a maxx raxx rack and mine has a strap with what looks like abit of broom handle on it, this is then slid in behind the tail gate when open then when shut provides extra support never had any probs with it ! hope this helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cava55,

Yes I can see the internal strap option but think mounting it higher externally would be better - if the `extreme` crossbar is mounted to the chassis.

Perhaps anyone that has put a full rooof rack system onto an `extreme` would know when they stripped the plastic running covers off?

Tx all the same.

·
Registered
23 Posts
James66 said:
cava55,

Yes I can see the internal strap option but think mounting it higher externally would be better - if the `extreme` crossbar is mounted to the chassis.

Perhaps anyone that has put a full rooof rack system onto an `extreme` would know when they stripped the plastic running covers off?

Tx all the same.
I have put cross rails (when needed, don't leave them on) on my Extreme, was very easy and only cost about £25. I used a piece of plastic (such as an adhesive spreader) to lever off the covers, bought a pair of roof cross bars from Halfords and cut them to fit (couple of inches - careful as front bars are different length to back). Then just drill a couple of 6.1 - 6.5mm holes and secure with 6mm bolts. Now I can fit the bars, two bike racks and bikes in 20 minutes. Looks weird with the covers off but much cheaper than the £180 Nissan solution.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here's some pictures, been out with the bikes today, pictures on Flickr -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... 607590579/

I did stick some tape over the wiring for the roof lights, just in case it rains (been through a few storms and all works ok). Once I had cut the bars I just wrapped some tape round the ends to avoid scratches etc, must get round to finishing the bar ends properly one day.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Blodnik,

Tx for the photos, must say the thought of me getting upto 4 bikes on the roof is a little daunting & I am not a short ar** myself - more so for my wife; @ 5` 3" she has got no chance when I am away working & she takes the car, kids & all the bikes :bow:

I have since bought a Max Raxx **** rack, plus towbar & electrics needed; and whilst alot more expensive option than yours apperas to be a little more user friendly.

Now just to source 2 front side window, wind deflectors (?); I really get fed up with the water pouring in off the roof vis the plastic roof `runners` - seems to go on an eternirty like a river?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.