Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
T31 Diesel, can you disconnect the battery on this without taking precautions? Losing the radio program setting not counted. I ask this as if I disconnect the battery on my wifes Saxo, on reconnection I have to reset the alarm (but not always?) and it is important to leave the ignition on with the engine not started for 10 secs while the engine ECU sorts itself out.
Is it necessary to disconnect the battery when using a modern electronically controlled battery charger. Its OK with the Saxo, but there are far more electronics on the XT? I use the Lydls version of the CTEC battery charger.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Hi chrisuk

As far as I can see there isn't a problem disconnecting the battery as the manual says if the car isn't being used for 30 days to disconnect it and says nothing about re-programming, etc. when connectiong up again.
As for the trickle charge, my BMW always drained it's battery - sometimes even over a weekend! BMW main dealer admitted there was a bit of an issue with some 2006 cars and suggested I bought one of thier trickle chargers. Thought about it for about a nanno second when he told me the price

Just made sure the car did decent journeys and bought a £8 bettery meter that plugged into the cig socket - never had a problem with it after that as I always new when to take it for a good run. BMW electrics are very sensitive so if htey can be trickle charged then I would think the X Trail could be too?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For reference I did disconnect my battery and all I lost was the radio memories station.

·
Registered
210 Posts
well its quite simple you connect another battery to the terminals then disconnect the car battery and reconnect to the new battery, or you can buy things that plug into the lighter socket.
Iv got a ctek multi xs 3600 trickle charger and its very good at charging and keeping the battery maintained, it was about £40

·
Registered
706 Posts
hglennie said:
Iv got a ctek multi xs 3600 trickle charger and its very good at charging and keeping the battery maintained, it was about £40
the c tek xs3600 is designed to connect to your battery ,(these chargers are excellent) whilst the battery is still connected, i have on permanently on my Audi in the winter time, and theres far more electronics on that than the exy

·
Registered
210 Posts
should i admit i thought i lost my battery a few days ago and i had to disconnect the terminals just to get enough currant into the battery to revive it. I thought i would have to get a new battery because it was as flat as a pancake... But the ctek charger brought it back from the dead. :lol: what i found quite good about the charger is that it comes with crocodile type clips and a ring terminal attachment that allows you to have the cable attached to the battery and disconnect using the connector without opening the bonnet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.