Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys still a few problems with my 2005 T30 2.2dci and would like your opinion on below please

Hello guys,

Recently, when car is left parked over a week and half or so, the battery is not strong enough to start it, Battery is a Varta E11 74Ah 680A and was just under 3 years old when problem started so jump started it, took it back before warrranty ran out, but of course they said it was fine when tested. Was a 20 mile trip to get to battery place so that seems to have charged it up enough not to show an issue, took it to Halfords same day and they said it tested out fine.

Took battery off car and trickle charged it for a couple of days, got up to 12.63v disconnected, left it disconnected for 2 weeks was then still 12.3v

Bit of history, car maybe a year ago what left on a “battery tender” smart charger for about 8 months while we were abroad. Not used very regularly since but has never been an issue before even leaving it parked 6 weeks it always started fine.

Took it to an auto electrician friend who checked amps for parasitic drain and said nothing to worry about there, checked voltages at battery with mulitimeter as follows

Engine off not been started for a day was at 12.19v
Tickover 14.35 v
Revving 14.60v

Now tested with all accessories on (lights, both heated seats, air con, blower fan on full, rear demister)
All above on, engine on tickover 12.60v
All above on revving 14.30v

He says the test in bold shows a possible alternator problem not putting enough in battery on tickover with all big power demands on which would flatten battery? He also said it might be a “smart alternator” so expensive to replace (must admit it looks a pig to get at)

Im not so sure about this however, as when would that condition happen for any significant period in reality? unless you were stuck in traffic in winter at night? Not been stuck in traffic recently just normal use. Maybe Im wrong or missing something?

Im happy to replace the alternator, new belts and new battery but would like to understand what the problem is. Alternator diagnosis doesn’t seem conclusive, belts are only couple of years old and genuine ones, battery voltage hardly moved when left off car a good period and parasitic drain test didn’t show hardly any drain couple (of milliamps)
PS re my previous posts, not done the SCV yet, took scuttle off and couldn’t even see it or hardly touch it so leftaloe for now - garage job I think!

Would welcome any help and thanks so much for your time :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
quick test is to refit battery but disconnect alternator plug, leave for a few days and see if fault reoccurs, if it does not it is probably leakage through alternator diodes, it will still charge but will drag down battery over time, if fault does return at least you know it is not alternator.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
quick test is to refit battery but disconnect alternator plug, leave for a few days and see if fault reoccurs, if it does not it is probably leakage through alternator diodes, it will still charge but will drag down battery over time, if fault does return at least you know it is not alternator.
Thanks Jor

Does the alternator plug just pull off?

Bit difficult at moment as Wife using it every two days!

Can anyone tell me if the alternator a big job to change and where would be best place to get one and what brand best? Or would it be better to have my one rebuilt?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts