Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently looking into obtaining an xtrail with a view to towing (as we now have a horse trailer to transport occasionally.... ) Probably looking at a 2008 year initially.
I'd rather an automatic but wanting to get the best mpg so was wondering if the real world mpg on the 2.0 diesel is better than the 2.2, and more importantly can the 2.0 litre tow adequately?

Id love to hear some real world mpg and towing options from current owners on these models. Tia

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
There is no 2.2 dielels automatic in the world
Automatic allways adds reduces mpg a bit. Mine is 2011 and i get 8.5L/100km in winter, 7.5 L/100km in summer. Towing adds 1.5L

·
Registered
634 Posts
Pretty sure the towing weights are the lowest for the auto T31 being 1350kg the 148 hp manual is 2000kg and the manual 175hp 2200kg .If I was towing anything of any weight then the 175hp would be the option .I tow a small 900kg digger about now and then with an ifor williams 8x4 trailer ,
also fencing now and then .The 148hp of mine is adequate but I would definitely go for more HP if I changed in the future.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Mine is a 2011 Tekna Facelift which started with 173 but is tuned by Cletic to 221hp. Limit is 2200kg with total train load of 4390 according to the plate. Mine averages mid to high 40's and I don't hang around. I had it loaded the other day with 12 paving slabs 600 x 600 x 50 thick and my trailer on the back with 2 sheds on it so around 1800kg and it drive as if nothing was behind it!! BTW mine has nnow done 187k iles. Unfortunately the auto box is limited to 148 hp - yes you could tune it but gearbox wouldn't take it - no idea why they didn't get a better auto box like Land Rover did in Freelander but even in manual that's still only 2000kg :) The X Trail far better.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Mine is tuned to 180hp. Towed 1400kg of firewood+double axle trailer. Everthing was over max. Trailer weight, towing weight and my licence weight. But the car handled it well. Gearbox was in manual mode.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Mine is tuned to 180hp. Towed 1400kg of firewood+double axle trailer. Everthing was over max. Trailer weight, towing weight and my licence weight. But the car handled it well. Gearbox was in manual mode.
I wondered if gearbox would overheat in auto.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I monitored the temp, At speed the torque converter is locked anyway. temp was 80-85c. Fluid heats when torque converter is unlocked and the engine speed and gearbox speed is different. When reversing or climbing a steep hill/offroading slowly raises fluid temp, even without the trailer. When I was offroading, Fluid went to 95-98c.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have a 2008 T31 diesel auto and I tow a caravan. I must admit it is only a small, light caravan, about a ton, but it hardly notices that it is there. The wind resistance with a caravan affects it as much as the weight in my opinion, especially at maximum legal speed, so my caravan would have the same wind resistance as the largest twin-axle caravan.

I too wonder why Nissan opted for such an apparently weak auto-box, as there is nothing inherently weak about auto boxes. They have been used in military tanks, trucks and even railway locomotives capable of hauling hundreds of tons. I can also remember Jaguar bringing out a car with only auto available because they couldn't find a manual gearbox that could handle the power at that time without resorting to one from a truck!

I have towed with autos since the 1970s when I had a Mk2 Cortina, and I would never go back to a manual now.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Also I monitored the gearbox line pressure in 4th and 5th gear. No difference at all when cruising at constant speed at straigth level road.. Pressure rises when there is a torque demand from the engine, like a up on a hill or accelerating/pressing the acc pedal. But still i preffered 4 great most the time with the heavy load because theoretically, the AT fuild flows with greater volume thru the small cooler and the engine oil pressure is higher. So less friction to the con rod bearings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts