Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the effect will be if I replace my 165/65/R16 tyres with 165/70/R16. (it's an 04 plate)
Mpg? Acceleration? Speedo? Ride/Handling? ABS? 4 wheel drive? Gearing? etc etc... Would it affect my AA warrantee?

Thankyou :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi is it not 215/65 tyres it comes with?
anyhow it will gear your car higher (think I got that right way around) means 0-60 slower and top speed higher. Also means your mileometer would show slightly less miles each year as wheel rotation ( circumference )would be bigger but nothing noticeable.
The 165/65 means the profile of your tyre is 65% of the width IE 107.25 mm and at 70% 115.5 mm therefore your profile will be 8.25 mm bigger, your tyre circumference would be 51.84 mm bigger, your speed would actually be 71.86 mph when the speedo reads 70mph.
Miles per gallon would be much the same and comfort much the same, don't know about the AA?
Your allowed a maximum % difference when changing tyres and wheels I can't see what it is but I think its 4% can't remember.

Don't really see the point in going from 165/65 no real benefit.
I could see the point on wanting a bigger rim though to improve the looks but that's another story :thumbs:

Got this info from here, if anyone interested http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html
or http://www.alloywheels.com/tyrecalc.asp

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that. Yes it comes with the 215/65.

The reason I was thinking of a larger tyre is for the ground clearance for when using the car off road- this would be increased by about 5% I think... there's some bits underneath that look a little bit delicate!

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm running 215/70/16's on mine ... it feels a little more wallowy (nice made up word eh) into corners but might just be imagining it tbh ... milage is about one and a half under at 70 so i've been told ... doing about 68 and a 1/2 whils't showing 70 (worked out on a chart) other than that no real noticable differences tbh! :thumbs: ... oh and sits a midgys dingle higher yeah! :whistle:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi r3ubs,

The largest tyre you could fit on a Series 1 Xtrail would be 225/70/16 as I have.
Bigger than this and it rubs the plastic splash guards inside the wheel arch on full lock.
This tyre size makes the speedo almost acurate reading 99kph at an actual road speed of 101kph (measured by GPS).
You should be fine with your 215/70/16.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.