Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There. I've recently bought a 2004 2.2 dci T30. Unfortunately shortly after parting cash on the way home I noticed it was putting out black smoke on acceleration. This has got worse in the months following. A large amount of oil seems to be leaking from the underside of the turbo along with some oil around the injector heads.....two of which have been silicon sealed. I didnt notice any smoke when test driving the vehicle and there was no oil leaking or evidence of beneath the vehicle and with everything else being in good shape I went for it. I appreciate I may have bought a vehicle that had some issue developing or concealed. Oh well....these things happen, its frustrating but I'm hoping I can get it sorted without it becoming too costly.

Last week I removed the intercooler and inlet connection and on revving the engine the turbo was spraying a significant amount of oil up into it. There was also significant horizontal play in the turbo fan which leads me to think that this could be the problem. In addition to noticing oil around two of the injector seals it looks like some oil is leaking from around the head gasket although its not too wet. Before the exhaust smoke got bad and major leak developed I also noticed the engine sound change during idling in neutral, going quieter for a short period before becoming louder again.

Currently if I wanted to drive it the oil loss and fuel economy make it impossible. Not that I should be driving it :)

Any advice or suggestions of a workable way forward would be much welcome. Thanks for your time. Best Pete

·
Registered
08' T31 Adventurer 2.0dci
748 Posts
Clean the oil off first .Washing up liquid and warm water helps or a degreaser from a motor factors to see where it's coming from .If your intercooler is original then usually bottom left where most people find it has oil weeping and most people fit the uprated welded type .The intercooler and pipework usually have a little oil in them anyway ..You could be loosing boost which is possibly the black smoke .Not a bad job doing the seals for injectors as they do weep oil over time .All the problems are pretty common .The turbo will have very slight play as the years pass but how much is acceptable is a different story .

1 - 2 of 2 Posts