Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my xt as just done 4000 miles and the brakes are juddering . The front discs appear to have sores on them already, is this normal?.I have booked it in at local nissan dealer for inspection but should this be coverd under warrenty?Never had a new car before. THanks in advance

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Been into dearlears to sort out today they say the front discs and pads want replacing. They had to take photos and send to nissan to check weather or not be done under warrenty, bearing in mind the car has olny done 4200 miles. Nissan say the discs are to be skimmed. I am not very happy about this as it is basicly a new car what do you guys think. I have contacted nissan direct and am now waiting for a reply.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Sticking calipers seem to be an X/T problem for many.Mine did it at about 20k,just reset and replaced pads,but at your mileage/age of car I'd insist Nissan replaced Discs/pads and perhaps calipers.
Is your problem just 1 side?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The discs, being bare metal, rust to some degree whenever the car is parked; the longer it is parked and the damper the conditions, the greater the degree of rust. Under normal use, this can be cleaned off by a firm application of the brakes at the start of each journey; gentle braking only will not necessarily clear it. If the car is not used for a long time, e.g. stored at a dealer while awaiting purchase, the rust can become established and ridges develop on the discs and even hard braking will not clear it; in such instances the only solution is to either skim the discs or replace them, also clean and replace the pads.

If your car has done only 4000 miles, it may be that the car had been stored and the rust become established. If this is the case, the dealer should replace the discs and pads, never mind about referring the problem to Nissan, this is a well known problem.

Hope this is helpful.

David

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
transporter said:
The discs, being bare metal, rust to some degree whenever the car is parked; the longer it is parked and the damper the conditions, the greater the degree of rust. Under normal use, this can be cleaned off by a firm application of the brakes at the start of each journey; gentle braking only will not necessarily clear it. If the car is not used for a long time, e.g. stored at a dealer while awaiting purchase, the rust can become established and ridges develop on the discs and even hard braking will not clear it; in such instances the only solution is to either skim the discs or replace them, also clean and replace the pads.

If your car has done only 4000 miles, it may be that the car had been stored and the rust become established. If this is the case, the dealer should replace the discs and pads, never mind about referring the problem to Nissan, this is a well known problem.

Hope this is helpful.

David
Hi thanks for your replies, was beginning to think I was being unresanable on insisting for new discs and pads . Still havent heard anything back from nissan, will keep you all posted on the outcome.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi just heard back from nissan and they are insisting that skimming the discs is all that they are prepaired to do. In my veiw this is a bodge job something that I would expect from a back street garage. I have never had a new car before and if I have another I wont be having a nissan because there custumer service stinks, once they have your money they dont want to know.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi just an update on brakes. started juddering again so got in touch with dealer and this time they fitted new discs an pads no problem. They could have saved time and money if they would have done this first as last and would have done wonders for coustermer service

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.