Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am a new comer to this board and I am starting off asking for help. Friends in need and all that!!!!!
At a recent MOT on my 2006 Xtrail 2,2 dCi the tester commented that he found "pedal sink" on the brake pedal. When he held his foot on the pedal it very slowly started to sink. It didn't go to the floor and didn't affect the efficiency of the brakes which passed the test. I hadn't noticed this problem in normal driving. He did say that he had seen similar symtoms on Vauxhalls which was a fault in the ABS pump. Has anyone come across this fault before

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi well i have a 2007 and mine is the same pedal is **** ! and to top it all its got 18,000 on it and now both front calipers have seized ! more expence, lack of use me thinks is the problem . Garage have said that it is ok and not to worry, that was befor the calipers seized. still wont swop it for the new T31 !!!!!!!.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I don't know if this will be of any help or not, but I had a similar issue with a Peugeot recently. As I work in a place with lots of new cars, I had the luxury of trying a dozen or so brand new vehicles, and they all did it too! If you pump the brake pedal several times and then hold it, you can quite noticeably feel it sinking. It doesn't go all the way to the floor, but stops after a while. I think it's just the ABS pump releasing pressure until the master cylinder piston gets to a pre-determined position. If you're not loosing fluid and the pedal doesn;t go to the floor, I'm not sure there's a problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Was the engine running at the time? One time after I bled my brakes, the pedal felt soft and sank. Rang a mate who knows and was told that if the servo is not operating, the brake pedal will feel soft. Started the engine and all was good.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Found this on line might help

202: Brake pedal creeps - Vehicles with diesel engines.

Diesel engine vehicles usually use a pump to generate the vacuum for servo assistance. Unlike the inlet manifold of a petrol engine, there is no vacuum relief with a pump. If excessive pedal pressure is applied when the vehicle is stationary (and the engine is running) the hydraulic pressures required to stop the vehicle will be grossly exceeded and fluid will be forced past seals that are between circuits. Larger vehicles such as vans and 4x4s are more prone to this problem as they use servos with a higher boost ratio. The phenomenon is known as diesel creep; and it is often incorrectly diagnosed as being caused by a faulty master cylinder. The solution is to stop applying the excessive pressure.

Important!

If you can get the brake pedal to creep with the engine switched off and servo exhausted, or actually under braking there is a serious problem that requires urgent attention!

just had great service from a company called Brakes international in Rochdale ordered parts yesterday and here to day great price for brakes 1

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.