Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just had the rear brake pads replaced on my '04 Sport xtrl. The discs look ok and garage did not deem it necessary to replace them. Since this, when applying the brakes there has been a sensation that the brakes have 'lumps' on the discs, and the sensation is felt in the brake pedal as a minor 'kick-back' varying in frequency with speed. This phenomenon was not there before the pads were changed. I haven't been back to the garage yet, but it seems almost that they changed my previous good discs for someone else's warped discs during the job! This hardly seems credible as I go there because a relative who is in the trade knows the proprietor.
Any ideas, anyone? Am I going to have to fit a new pair of discs as well? Car's done 48k miles, but there's hardly any 'edge' on them.
IUTLK.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Give them a few weeks to settle in then see what they are like.
It is always best to brake lightly after fitting new pads to used discs. Harsh braking will cause uneven hot spots across the discs and this can cause disc distortion.
Jack

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Jack, but I've already allowed a month for this process. The problem shows no sign of abating,m and I don't want to run it much longer like this in case the master cyl or abs unit get damaged. I notice new discs from Brakes International are only around £23 each, so it won't be a disaster if I have to replace them. Mind you, that price is before p&p, and with a pair of discs being so heavy these days one can hardly lift the box, carriage could amount to a big proportion of the cost!
IUTLS.

·
Registered
115 Posts
how much for pads anyway??? fitted??? think mine willl need doing soon - first lot have done 68k so quite pleased with the braking system so far !!!!

Rob

G

·
Also remember that the rear disc is also the drum for the hand brake, so it is a bigger job than the front pads/disc.
You will at least have to adjust the hand brake to remove the disc, although normally the hand brake is so loose it does not matter!!
When re-building adjust hand brake (In the drum) and you might find you actually have one!!! :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts