Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only had my nearly new T31 a few months/ few thousand miles. Twice recently, when getting out the car after a 25 mile journey there has been a very strong smell, a bit like burning rubber from underneath the drivers side. No smell in the engine bay, tyres not hot to touch. Both times I've had my best duds on so couldn't really check underneath. Repeating the journey to go back home, and it arrives smelling sweet. Same thing a month later, but have never had a problem when driving say 100 miles. What on earth can it be?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,
Just to let you know that I have noticed a smilar issue with my 57 plate version. Similar to yourself, it has happen approx 3 times over a year and noticable after a fairly short journey (12 miles). Anecdotally, I suspect that this is something to do with the engine management system 'running the engine hot' to clear the particulate filter. I have not, however been able to get anyone to confirm this officially. Maybe some expert on the forum can provide us both with an answer.
Bob.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No - no problems (touching wood) with the DPF. I admit it does sound a bit strange, but an 'expert' in the pub suggested that this was a possible cause. There is never any other evidence of belts slipping, something rubbing on tyres etc etc.

Baffled !!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions, it sounds like I'm not alone. I will mention it to the garage but I know it's going to be a "No fault found" unless you drive into the bay with it on fire.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I googled the rubber burning smell and found there had been a previous post on this forum by Simon, and then the exact same symptoms as mine by Paul. Interestingly the same symptoms cropped up again on a Skoda forum, again people thought it was the dpf. I wondered why manufacturers don't mention this in the handbook but then it occurred to me they can't just say ignore burning smells. One vehicle fire causing death or injury because the driver ignored the warnings and they would get sued for millions.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, in fact just about every car forum mentions this, MB, BMW, Vauxhall, Chevy, just search for rubber burning smell dpf. But no confirmation from manufacturers, just confused customers eventually putting down to the dpf regen. I'm not going to worry anymore, I'll post again should it burst into flames and I survive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
there are a lot of things they dont tell you about the dpf system on these and other motors...specifically , they are not designed for everyday town use.

Diesel

i bumped into my sales man after i took mine in for a forced regen because of dpf trouble, i asked him why he did nt mention it when i enquired about vehicle, his words were " its in the handbook" my reply was
the hand book cost me 27k!!!

G

·
I think I posted this problem when I first got my new x trail on May 2008. after taking it back to nissan several times and them not being able to find out what it was i took it in for a service and there just happened to be another owner there when i mentioned it to him he said mine does that as well. Nissan checked and said they think the only thing that would get that hot is the diesel particulate filter however they could not explain the burning rubber smell. It still smell dreadful like some one has set fire to a load of tyres but only every now and then. Incidently when I recently parked in a multi storey a diesel qashua drove past us and stunk the same. Really its not good enough with a modern car. My mechanic who was head of our local Nissan dealer said the problem is nissan are trying to be so advanced and green with the engines they are creating problems, and that the vehicle would still pass its emissions test without a DPF

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Interesting, just returned from a 3 week holiday where last year I had problems with the DPF probably caused by low speed running on the isle of mull. This time when ever possible I gave it a good thrash. One day storming up the Gen road holding 3rd up to about 3500 rpm for a mile or so up hill, I got a burning rubber smell which when I eased off it went away!

·
Registered
16 Posts
hi evryone , just new to the forum & delighted to find it - thnks.

I have 57 2L deisel 150hp sports expedition. 22K. DPF regenerated once.

When haven been driven in 4x4 selected mode there "sometimes" seems to be a "hot metal" smell after stopping/parking the car , almost similar to a sticky brake pad smell. quite noticeable.

it drives my wife paranoic as we had a lot of problems on the mondeo with similar.

No signs of any overheating on roadwheels/brakes/hubs.

I just wondered if the transfer box & rear xmission could be generating heat , say when used on a road run? I normally select 4x4 on very wet roads up here in scotland.

thanks for any info/advice

·
Registered
380 Posts
Not recommended to use permanent 4x4 unless on Snow/Gras/Mud.On tarmac recommend use of 2w/d or Auto.Had an Isuzu Trooper once which locked itself in 4wd with new front tyres and worn rears and after about 30 miles 'wound' the transmission up,smelt like hot oil,turned out to be stewing AFT,slightly different smell.Is this what you've got? :frown:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.