Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what mileage should I be looking at changing the cam belt on my 2.2 DCI ?

Looked in the service/handbook and Im still none the wiser :frown:

G

·
hello everyone,just new to the site
reference the cambelt/chain question
the 2.2 dci has two chains,the bottom one is just about trouble free it drives the pump from the crankshaft,the second chain comes from the pump through two guides and drives the two camshafts.this chain is the one that can cause the rattle on the engine between 1500 and 2700 rpm approx.the tensioner is hydraulic and the earlier ones loose there ability to keep good tension causing the chain to chatter and wear the guides.i have just replaced the top chain on my 2005 sport(85000 miles)on tickover if i picked the revs up gradually when they reached approx 2000rpm you would get a chatter and a vibration through the car,and also on engine over run it would chatter.the cost of the chain,two guides and the tensioner and sealer was £470.Not a big job to replace for anyone who has ever fitted a timing belt,same princable. hope this is of some help to someone
cheers mark

·
Registered
43 Posts
hazza911 said:
hello everyone,just new to the site
reference the cambelt/chain question
the 2.2 dci has two chains,the bottom one is just about trouble free it drives the pump from the crankshaft,the second chain comes from the pump through two guides and drives the two camshafts.this chain is the one that can cause the rattle on the engine between 1500 and 2700 rpm approx.the tensioner is hydraulic and the earlier ones loose there ability to keep good tension causing the chain to chatter and wear the guides.i have just replaced the top chain on my 2005 sport(85000 miles)on tickover if i picked the revs up gradually when they reached approx 2000rpm you would get a chatter and a vibration through the car,and also on engine over run it would chatter.the cost of the chain,two guides and the tensioner and sealer was £470.Not a big job to replace for anyone who has ever fitted a timing belt,same princable. hope this is of some help to someone
cheers mark
Good write up. I had mine replaced as it was rattling slightly, fortunately done under a warranty I had.

Cheers Stuart.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts