Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I....(well my wife!) has a 2004 2.2 dci that requires a lot of apparently common work with oil leaks in engine/ leaking intercooler/turbo/porous sump, apparently warped front brake discs and rust on rear nearside wheel arch.

I tried to jack up car today to check front discs for warpage(is that a word!). When the jack was at full height the front wheels were still on the ground. I was using the front jacking point and I know I could stick a brick in underneath to get height but is this normal? Does my car have the wrong jack?

cheers

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Jack is okay, car is too big.... (kidding) :whistle:
Be sure, to put the jack on the right spot! Normally this is at the sides of a car (Main beam) where are specific points. Therefore the standard-jack is open at the top...
Also you can lift a car under the wheel arms. Be sure it has enough grip so it cannot fall!!!
Never do this - with the standard-jack - under the front/back tow eyes; it will fall of. Guaranteed... :thumbs:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll have another bash tomorrow , cheers.

I had a look on ebay and I spotted a jack that fitted into the cubby at the left hand side of the boot. Mine is inside the spare wheel in the main part of the hboot. Is that maybe the problem?

·
Administrator
2,758 Posts
The Nissan jack to isn't that good and is not up to the job really, so I bought a heavy duty scissor jack 2 ton load and is a lot more safer to use. If you decide to buy another make sure that it has a gap in the head or you'll crush your seam on the cill.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mystery solved. The car had two jacks! one in the wheel(which I have been trying to use) and one in the side above the offside wheel. The previous owner or garage must have stuck the one in the middle of the wheel. It was from a punto ! No wonder it didn't raise the car high enough.... :oops:

Managed to change the front discs and brake paads using the umbongo guide. :thumbs: One job done about 20 to go!

Cheers

·
Registered
209 Posts
Never used the supplied jack. My el cheapo brand 2ton hydraulic trolley jack JUST lifts the car about five millimetres off the ground...without any extra chocking etc.

I do use a tough bit of wood in the cup to 'spread the load' though and use an axle stand to be double sure it won't come down whilst I'm underneath. Oh and I chock all the other three wheels front and back leave it in park with the handbrake firmly on. I choose a bit of the underside that looks 'strong'. For the front it was near the jacking point just near where the wheel arch starts. Never had any issues using that method.

Compared to that lot simply using the Nissan supplied 'flimsy looking thing' looks to me to be a bit hazardous. When I was at work in December and I needed to change a flat I called the RAC. Though that was mostly because I was in my smart clean work togs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.