Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I recently bought my X Trail and it is my first 4x4 vehicle. Is there any advantage in usig 4 wheel drive for towing on normal road surfaces ? Or would you tow in 2 wheel mode? Any advice welcome, Thanks.

·
Administrator
2,758 Posts
I only tow a trailer so no need for 4wd I only use this when I go off road down country tracks when fishing, as for 4wd in Auto mode on normal roads I wouldn't bother stick to 2wd unless your on a slippery road. I'm sure one of our caravan experts will be along to help you out soon.

Here's a good link if your just setting out caravanning.
http://www.whattowcar.com/gebruikservar ... ie=X-Trail

·
Registered
385 Posts
I tow a tonne and a half twin wheel caravan with no probs ... as mentioned above i always use mine in two wheel drive unless road is very slippy and have no traction ... or if i'm having problems siting the van :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
there is a sepatate thread on this, it would seem that using Auto is the optimum. However, solo, in dry conditions I do use 2wd in the hope that it improves the mpg, but I don't think it does. I have heard it said however when towing anything with anything, it is cheaper to spin the front wheels on takeoff than to slip the clutch.

·
Registered
30 Posts
When towing (usually 1800kg) I always use Auto mode - it makes a huge difference well pulling away - when the nose weight of the trailer can make the front wheels less useful.

2 weeks ago I was towing a twin axle trailer full of stuff for the new house - I estimated around 1700kg worth + the car was pretty full. Anyway on the way up the hill we had to slow because of a cyclist - I dropped into first and stalled. The road was wet as it was still raining.

I tried a gentle-ish start in AUTO - the car stalled again - and the clutch let off a whiff.
I switched to permie 4*4 - tried the same gentle start - again the car stalled despite trying to dip and blip - and the clutch smelled some more.

Final attempt - dialed in 3500rpm - side stepped the clutch - kept the throttle down - and let the X-Trail 4 wheel spin itself away. It managed it. The rest of the journey up to the house I kept the car in 2nd gear - except for the 2nd hairpin (1st gear - the right hander see the map) - and by the time the trailer had been reversed onto the drive the coolant was around 75% on the dial and the clutch was smelling pretty strong.

The car has recoved since and still feels as it did beforehand. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The road if from Fly (440m) to Amden (900m) - about 1-in-10 all the way up.
Route of the road

·
Registered
9 Posts
I towed my 5 berth caravan to North Wales the other week in those gales down the or rather up the A55, got to Rhuallt hill which for all you who knows is a long steepish hill for about 2 mile, anyway about a quarter of the way up I had to change down from 6th to 5th and the EXXY just powered up the hill 60mph no probs at all.
What an amazing car!!!
if your thinking of getting one get the same as mine: 2.2 dci Aventura, What a machine,
Forgot to mention my caravan is a heavy 1990 5 berth which probably weights in at around 1500kgs loaded..

·
Registered
485 Posts
interesting mattyowen, i just took the same route in my 2.2dci with nigh on 2000kg all up on the back went over the top of m62 and only place i had to change down was same bank on A55 once in 5thshe powered away again truly amazing tow vehicles.
incidently i normally tow in 2wd apart from wet conditions and sometimes pulling away on a steep incline.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.