Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help, all of a sudden our cd changer does not want to read or play any of the discs??!!

It powers up, scans through the discs, loads/ejects, etc but just wont play and comes up with the message CD ERROR. Everything else works fine, radio, controls, etc - is it simply a loose connection or is it something more terminal?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, Had the same issue. I used a CD cleaner and got the player working again......for a couple of weeks. Then the CD player packed in completely. The player is made by Clarion and it's not very good. You can get second hand replacements on Ebay for around £40 and the radio isn't that difficult to remove. (You need to unclip the fascia and undo some bolts.) However, I'd recommend fitting a better CD radio if you're into your music. You can fit just about any standard radio, but you'll need to buy a wiring harness adaptor to join the radio tthe Nissan wiring system.

·
Registered
210 Posts
i second that comment for the cost of a harness and a good headunit, it would most likely match the cost of getting another cd changer, the sound will be far far better with the good headunit. and do away with having lots of cds and put them all on a usb drive or mp3 cds. its the way to go....

·
Registered
209 Posts
When I changed the HU for a double din Pioneer I just left the CD changer in place. Disconnected it though.

So 'hglennie' where did you get something to fit in the 'hole' ? Assume we're referring to the same location just ahead of the gear selector?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hello fellow X-trail enthusiasts!

I will be fitting a new double din head unit (from China... yeah, I'm a cheapskate! :oops: :roll: ) in place of my factory fitted, single din, radio cassette. (My X-trail is the 2002 SE+ model with the drinks/can coolers either side and a cubby hole with spring flap positioned under the stereo with a separate 6 cd changer located below the climate control). I want to remove the 6 cd changer and fit a single din pocket... has anyone done this? Can the pocket that exists under the radio cassette be relocated to replace the cd changer? Do I have to get a universal pocket?

Secondly, the new head unit, here if you'd like to see it although I didn't buy it from Oz, (http://www.autogps.com.au/Nissan_more.aspx) comes with the steering can-bus pre-installed inside the head unit, with a single wire on the ISO plug loom claiming to be "steering wheel control"... How does this connect to the existing controls... I mean, which wire is it supposed to splice into, as the radio at the moment has a separate plug dedicated to the steering controls with multiple wires??? The answer to this may well be in the manual when I get to see it within the next week or so :idea: ... but I thought I'd throw the feelers out just in case someone has already done a similar upgrade and had the same dilemma.

P.S. note to moderators... please feel free to re-direct me to the correct thread if I'm :eek:fftopic: please... I have searched the forum looking for answers already and I notice talk of removing or just leaving the 6 cd changer in place but not actual ideal single din pocket replacement.

Incidentally, I will be selling the radio (will need to be decoded at nissan as it's encoded at the mo to mine) and the 6 cd changer CHEAP... both in excellent condition and full working order... like new!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Do you already have one in place that doesn't work? If not, I don't know if you'll have the correct loom plugs in situ for a straight install/plug n play. You'd have to check... what's below the climate control at the moment?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Ok clarki, make me an offer! Do you have a paypal account. Where are you in the UK? I have seen this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nissan-Xtrail-T30 ... 588d5bb674 on ebay for £114. It says that it needs decoding. I'm not sure that they do... I know the head units do because of the NATS but the CD changers I don't think do... you'll have to ask a Nissan dealer. Mine is in EXCELLENT condition, not a mark on it and in perfect working order. I only used it a few times myself, it never jumped, skipped or had any problems at all. I will be security marking it inside and out (advised by a mate to do this as he sold something similar on ebay and the buyer sent his old inoperative multi-changer back claiming it was the one he'd bought from my friend) which is a really nasty thing to do as my mate couldn't prove it either way. Not for one minute saying you would do this but I have to protect myself against such snidey con-artists.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Damn at those prices I'd be up for taking my now disconnected redundant 'as new' one out and replacing it with something else.

In fact if someone had a pocket or something that would fit in there, (if it looked OK) that and say £30 and it's yours.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I didn't ask for £114 :confused: ... was just pointing out that there was one for sale on ebay for £114. I did state that I would sell it "CHEAP" and I stand by that ;-) ... just didn't want someone saying I'll give you a fiver for it and then it cost me £4.99 to post it out to them :thumbs: . If no-one offers me a respectable but CHEAP amount for it, then I'll stick it on eBay with a reserve of £30-40 and see how it goes.

As for the pocket... I have already moved the flappy covered cubby hole / pocket that exists under the standard stereo, down in place of the 6 CD changer in readiness for the double din to replace both the afore mentioned. :biggrin:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.