Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all - it seems we have a problem with our beloved X-Trail :sad:

It has always been a 'spitting out smoke' kinda diesel - but nothing too dramatic and our mechanic told us not to worry (he changed the oil - which was apparently filthy - and fixed 3 oil leaks a couple of weeks ago). This bank holiday we drove up to Scotland and it seems much, much worse. When you accelerate quickly it's really bad - for example on A-roads when we slowed to go round a cyclist and then need to get the speed back up again, we'd be leaving the cyclist in a horrid cloud of diesel :roll: Also it's really noticeable on the motorway of you accelerate to overtake, in the rear view mirror you can see great black clouds coming out :shock: At times when we were stopping at services I could 'taste' a nasty fuel taste in my mouth. The back of the car is now covered in a sooty deposit, and the exhaust pipe looks really clogged.

Has anyone got any ideas? My mechanic is lovely but I'd really like to know from experienced x-trail folk what this might be before I try to sort it out.

Thanks very much for any thoughts :thumbs:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Umbongo - I'm really surprised that the fuel could have such a dramatic effect - even to the point of clogging the exhaust and coating the back in soot :shock: It would be great if that did sort out the problem as that's not a massive cost problem (*phew* :lol: ).

We're surrounded by Shell stations here (and a Sainsburys, where I often fill up), so I shall see if they do some sort of premium diesel :?:

I wonder if this will help the fuel consumption too? On the Scotland trip we were getting less than 400 miles off a tank, which seems pretty poor to me (and a bit worse than usual).

·
Administrator
2,758 Posts
If you can't get BP Ultimate then Shell V power diesel don't expect instant results it will take a few tank top ups before you see any results. I don't have the black smoke problem any more as I always use BP Ultimate it was a bit embarrassing when you looked in your rear view mirror to see the clouds of black smoke a bit like 007 in his Aston Martin DB5 :lol:

Shell link

http://www.shell.co.uk/home/content/gbr ... esel_tpkg/

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It seems that the problem is not fuel related but that intercooler is split - and oil is leaking through causing the clouds of smoke, poor fuel efficiency and a loss of power.

Apparently this is a known fault. I am contacting Nissan UK to see what they suggest, being that this is a common problem. Not holding out much hope though.

Any ideas of a good place to buy a reconditioned intercooler? So far we've had quotes of £800 :eek: :frown:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right. Nissan UK want me to take it to a Nissan dealer and pay for full diagnostics. They 'may consider' assisting on a goodwill basis though as it is out of warranty, not bought from a main dealer and doesn't have a documented FSH it's not very likely :| Thus taking it to the dealership seems like a waste of money.

We're driving to N Ireland next week so really need to sort it asap. Currently trying to work out if we can get a reconditioned intercooler to try to lower the cost. Any ideas of where to try would be very welcome.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fab thank you Umbongo - I'd seen that one, and have had a quote of a used one (90 day warranty) for £273. Just trying to weigh up the relative merits of the new vs. used :?: :?: :?: The ebay chap can't deliver as fast as Nissan 1st can.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aha! Am muchly pleased :smile:

Got a part being sent on Thursday from a breakers in Scotland - 90 day warranty and £200 inc. VAT and courier. Phew. Bit better than nearly £1k!!!

I shall report back and let you know if this solves our problems with the smoke, fuel consumption and power!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Arne - I don't think you posted on this thread before?

Anyway.... We had the wrong part sent from Dalcrue Auto Salvage in Scotland - too small and no sensor despite them having my reg plate. They're also refusing to refund the courier (£30) for sending me the wrong part - but that's another fight!

We eventually bought a new intercooler from Nissan (£600 :bigcry: ) and it has made a massive difference. No black smoke, loads more 'ooomph' (power :lol: ) and slightly better fuel consumption too. An expensive problem, but at least the car is running really well now *phew*.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hglennie said:
make now you will be able to save up for a remap, or speakers and amps etc...? :lol: good its sorted but expensive... well i hope thats the expense over with for a while....
:lol: :lol: :lol: Well quite :biggrin: I'm thinking the next expense is going to be a new set of tyres and some way of playing my iPod without the damned iTrip ;-)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.