Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have an issue with reversing and or pulling off on an incline that is worrying me.

I have the 2.2dci (07) Columbia and am pulling a caravan max allowed load 1352. Never have that much in it though so I am guessing around the 1150/1200 mark.

When I pull off or reverse the van into a space the clutch stinks! I know (think) its not my driving as I have tried it in a friends Shogun no problems. Am i doing something wrong? Could the clutch be on its way out? Or is this just to be expected and I am worried over nothing (maybe its a hard wearing clutch)?

I have owned the car for about a 6 weeks......

Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
14 Posts
A few weeks ago I reversed up a hill (about 20m) towing a caravan to get in the right position to 'nose' onto a pitch. When I unhitched and parked up the clutch stunk of burning. I was very aanxious that I had burned the clutch up and was reassured by a guy in the next caravan who was amechanic that that was pretty normal and shoulnt have caused much damage as long as I didnt do it very often. Anywa, the car was fine for the next 10 days of our holiday. However, on the way home (150 miles away infact) a gearbox bearing collapsed resulting in being towed home, caravan n all, by The AA. Resulting damage - £1800. However I doubt this is what your problem is but the reasin I am telling you this is because while the box was off I got them to look at (and replace) the clutch. They said it was really worn. Bottom line, if your clutch stinks chances are you need to replace it. Not a huge job and a good garage would do it for about £300 - £400. fingers crossed your gearbox doesnt end up like mine! I hope this helps - I dont mean to scare you, just saying what happened to my x trail with similar symptoms! Good Luck!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi ,i think that most of us have had this when towing on my 2nd xtrail.first was a 2.2dci 2005 with 18000 mls 0n the clock same smell and 2nd is a 2.5 2006 with 20000 mls on the clock,just hope it just a small problem. i have done a lot of towing down thru france 2000klms each trip and only had the smell when manoeuvring the caravan up on the pitch..regards...mark

·
Registered
115 Posts
had exactly the same thing happen - the bad smell - when on a off road course and not locked the 4x4, it didn't do it again when locked. One can burn the clutch and get away with it and also burn and not get away...depends if you let it cool or not and indeed if you really cook it with a heavy foot on the accelerator...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.... i might speak to the dealer as it is a small worry that niggles everytime I reverse in. Im not heavy on the clutch but with not having the car that long you never know what previous damage may have been done.

Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
13 Posts
My clutch is stinking too. It's most evident when I'm reversing. I had to reverse uphill yesterday and it stank. I have the car two weeks and the dealer was at pains to point out what was not covered under his one year warrenty. The clutch was one of those items. I fear the previous owner was a "clutch rider".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts