Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought an X Trail, 05 2.2Dci has only done 80,000 miles. We bought it as a dual purpose car/4X4 to use as the family car and tow a horse trailer.

I drove it 2 days ago with the trailer and had to reverse up a short slope. The smell from the clutch was awful and I stopped immediately and since then the clutch smells even on normal driving conditions without towing, although not as bad as when reversing. Having done a bit of investigation on the internet, it seems this isn't an uncommon occurence and in some cases people have reported complete clutch failure. I cannot deal with this especially towing horses!

But does this mean I have to have a completely new clutch or is it one part of the clutch that is at fault and not normal wear and tear. If it is a particular part I may be able to claim on the vehicle warranty I bought with the car.

Also importantly, if I get a new clutch, does this fix the problem or will it do the same in 80k miles

Unfortunately I have resigned myself to the fact this is going to cost me something, as it is unlikely the garage I bought it from was aware, as when we test drove the car this was not evident. Any ideas/advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi and welcome if you look at some old posts you will find that from time to time we have had had the same problem this is my 2nd xtrail and had the same smell when moving with the caravan at slow speeds. like parking it up, it does not mean that its going to need replacing.. regards..mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.