Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - Now it's geting colder in the mornings my 2.2 DI is having problems starting. Even using another car to boost the battery which was a bit sluggish it simply wouldn't fire. Had to call out the AA who finally got it going with starter spray after telling me that two of the heater plugs were U.S. (he deduced that by checking battery draiin current with a clamp ammeter) so I changed all four glow plugs and the next day had the problem again! :headbang: The starter spins it ok & when it finally catches and fires, the engine immediately runs well & I have no problem starting it all day. Any ideas where to look next?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm - I've still got problems :headbang: - although it's not been very cold recently & the car has started eventually after spinning a while. The problem isn't the glow plugs and I think the relay is working ok as I can hear it operating (switching off after the time out period). The glow plugs have been replaced - twice & the first replacement set are still lighting up when tested on a battery.
I've still to check out the current drawn by the glow plugs & I'll report back when I've tested them again.
The exhaust doesn't puff black smoke when it's turning over & not firing so I suspect fuel not getting through quickly enough. Is there anything like a check valve or secondary fuel priming pump in the system that could be the cause???? :?:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I have no experience of this problem but hearing a relay operate does not mean that you are getting a good low resistance current path across the contacts. It would be good to measure your current passing through the relay to the heaters compared to a known good car (or find the spec for the current).

I have been thinking I ought to get a clip-on ammeter for some time but where do you buy a reasonably good one at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re - Clip on ammeters, the cheap ones are not accurate enough to use for quantative measurement. They are more use to show if there is current passing or not and polarity.
I'm thinking I'll buy a shunt type panel meter and using that. It's easy to fit one temporarily in the line to the glowplugs to check them out. Time to look on fleabay again methinks.
I've got lots of multimeters but they don't measure the heavy currents that we are talking about. Past experience has shown me that even if a meter has got a big enough DC current range it's unwise to use them for long as the shunt inside the meter can cook. :-?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.