Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY 54 PLATE XTRAIL SINCE LAST APRIL HAS STARTED RUNNING IRRATICALLY WHEN COLD. THE REVS GO UP AND DOWN BETWEEN 1100RPM AND 800RPM THE REVS DROP SO LOW THAT IT NEARLY STALLS, BUT THE ENGINE PICKS ITS SELF BACK UP AGAIN. IT STOPS DOING IT WHEN IT IS WARM. IN THE LAST COLD SPELL IT I NOTICED THAT IS BECOMING DIFICULT TO START WHEN COLD, NORMALLY IT WOULD START FIRST CYLINDER UP WITH OUT USING THE THROTTLE.IT NOW REQUIRES A FIRM PRESS ON THE THROTTLE WHILE CRANKING.I DONT NOTICE THE ENGINE BEING ANY MORE NOISEY THAN NORMAL BUT THAT IS PROBABLY BECAUSE I AM USED TO IT. ALL SYMPTOMS STOP ONCE THE ENGINE IS WARM. I HAVE EXTENDED WARRENTY ON IT SO I WANT TO GET IT SORTED OUT BY MY MAIN DEALER BEFORE IT RUNS OUT IN SEPTEMBER. DOES ANY BODY HAVE ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS. MANY THANKS KEITH

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Keith,

I have been having a few issues/problems with my car recently (see my previous post ref Noisy starting from cold)
Some of my symptoms were similar to yours.

The outcome of this was that my "other" local Nissan dealer WestWay Stourbridge had the car in for
a cold start diagnosis. They found that:-

The EGR valve had become "choked up" It was removed and cleaned.
There was on update from Nissan for the ECU which was downloaded onto the car.

This was done Free of Charge under Warranty..

These two "faults" had been missed by my other local "WestWay" Wolverhampton Stealership.

It is now like driving a different car....
It is not as noisy
It is not as noisy for as long
The tickover does not fluctuate
It is no longer hesitant when accelerating (during warm up time)
And am sure there is an increase in fuel consumption although I have
changed the air filter myself.

Hope this helps and good luck in sorting out your problem :thumbs:

akastiggy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Keith,

With reference to the starting part of your post, it could be as simple as a new set of glow plugs. I have had a few old vauxhall diesels as runabouts and used to find that when they were awkward to start/needed new plugs, giving the engine an extra preheat helped no end. Also I waited for the relay for the glowplugs to 'click off' before starting, this takes a while after the dashboard light goes out...

This might have no relevance to the XT whatsoever, not even sure of there is a relay for the plugs on them but it's worth a go till you get it sorted properly!

Good luck,

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I finally booked my Diesel x trail in to Hammond Nissan in Halesworth they put a new surge or suction control valve on the injection pump and it has solved all my faults.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts