Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol,
cheers Scottie, but I am over 6ft so no problem but my better half is under 5ft :lol:
So I really need something that will fit on the back and not roof!

·
Registered
385 Posts
rangermastiffs said:
lol,
cheers Scottie, but I am over 6ft so no problem but my better half is under 5ft :lol:
So I really need something that will fit on the back and not roof!
get her to do what I do. Stand on steps and lift the bike up. What kinda bike is it a light or heavy.??? mines is light.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a tow sure bracket that fits behind the towball and then a rack clips on...works fine even when towing with the caravan. BUT I want a rack for roof as well - does anyone know what bits I need? i have basic rails not sport or t spec.

Rob

G

·
If you go along the bikes on roof route, post yourself a note in the cab so you rember they are there and how high they are as some carpark barriers are too low to pass through, I've found this even with just a set of ladders on the roof.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I use a Witter on the tow hitch.

Can't fault it, although I do have to be a bit careful about the caravan noseweight.

Xacre

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi me again ! Just read an interesting article about the weight of bikes on a towbar rack - and indeed the issue of towing. This is something I did not know or even think about - well.... apparently a towbar will only support a certain amount of weight and will be printed on the bar some where - now with this in mind if you put bikes and hitch up then you may well over stress the bar and fittings to the car which may lead to failure....err whoops..so be careful out there in you like me use a towbar rack.....

Rob

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Robbo

Yes the caravan noseweight can be a problem with a bike carrier too.

Luckily the weight limit for the diesel X-Trail is 100 kgs. Some cars are as low as 65 kgs.

My Witter bike carrier weighs 6.5 kgs and the 2 bikes together weigh 27 kgs. That's a total of 33.5 kgs. To get the bikes down to this weight I remove the saddles (and stems), the lights and the pedals.

This only leaves 66kgs for the caravan noseweight which in my case is adequate. It's a fair bit under the reccommended 7% of total caravan weight (90kgs) but my particular caravan is well designed with most weight over or near the axle and tows like a dream even at the lower noseweight.

Xacre

1 - 9 of 9 Posts