Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 Columbia (136 old shape) we are experiencing very poor windscreen demisting. there seems to be plenty of direction of air flow up the screen but takes for ever to clear the screen. any ideas please. we have taken to put a heater blower in the car whilst it warms up. it getting quite chilly here in Kent. any suggections?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mine is the same, takes forever to clear and the windscreen keeps freezing on the inside making things worse. My partners ford focus is the same.
My PT cruiser used to clear from cold in about 5 minutes, so its a bit of a drag wating 20 for the xtrail to clear.

·
Registered
37 Posts
make sure the air con is on, These have dehumidifiers in them and will take the vapor off the screen.

Also make sure the mat's etc aren't wet, any damp in the car will make it terrible,

Also breathe gently when you get in the car ;) this always prevents it from steaming up lol

·
Registered
186 Posts
its also the sunroof there is a lot of glass in an xtrail. the best way is the air con... try and turn down the temp in the car before you park up.......all that heat hits the glass and thats where the problem comes from...... :thumbs:

·
Registered
115 Posts
My screen is often frozen inside at the mo, never really had a problem before, had the pollen filter changed reg as per service manual too. Seems to mist up very quick at first when the demister is put on !! :headbang: and takes a fair while to clear so have tried to not demist straight away -it helps a little... :headbang: I wonder if moisture is caught anywhere in air intakes? as this would cause a problem even with aircon on - does anyone know if there is a water trap somewhere on the systme thats needs draining every now and again????

Rob

·
Registered
40 Posts
No water traps etc on these, just one of the little "Characteristics" of the vehicle, only thing I have had on other cars (not X-trails!) is when a water leak has made it worse!!

Egg

·
Registered
115 Posts
found the problem.......its the sun roof, finally drew back the cover and it was very wet with condensation, I wiped it last night and no problem this morning.....so is this the answer - I'll keep you informed. Its all that glass that seems to be the prob, lovely in the summer though...

Rob

·
Registered
380 Posts
Mmmmm,sunroof cover,you could be right.Always leave mine closed,subconciously thinking it'd perhaps keep me dry!if there was alot of condensation.Seem to remember an aftermarket s/roof I had on a Volvo 240 estate, without cover, that soaked me a few times once the inside of the car warmed up.Will open my cover, and dry it off if necessary, tomorrow and see if this helps.
Mrs W prefers the Xy in this weather but this means I have to get up 20 mins early to defrost it :sad: :bigcry: Her 2 Litre MX5(with climate)however clears it's screen in seconds,mind you not much space to clear and only a small screen and an engine which warms up v.quickly. :biggrin:

·
Registered
115 Posts
well the sunroof was dried and thought it was better until this am when it was dry and still took ages to demist - infact I would say it seemed worse after a couple of mins with demister on and a/c as well !!!! :headbang: on a different tack it seems strange that all vehicles dont come wil the option of heated front screens nowadays...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Tried leaving s/r cover slid back ,seemed worse and doesn't seem to get wet on top(mind you it's getting warmer here now so tomorrow could be very clammy inside first thing)
Saw an idea on another site to use a bit of kit I think you can get to put at the bottom of windows in your home,a tray filled with some sort of crystals which soak up vapour,had one once on my boat,got full of water v/quickly.Or another suggestion:- put some dishwasher salt in an old sock and dry it out from time to time on the C/H rads.Might need to get permission from SWMBO for the last bit. :biggrin:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have found:

Leave AC on - turn dial to full demist - allow to blow for a minute of so - then back to auto - no problems.

I have to admit the temperature dial has to be turned up for around 25c to make the car really nice and toasty.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I stay in Edinburgh and during the recent cold weather this problem with demisting and deicing the interior windscreen has been a real problem. The problem must be caused by the moisture content of the air within the car when you shut it up for the night. That air must be quite damp OR water is evaporated from somewhere as the car cools down which then creates very damp air in the body of the car. As the temperature drops below the air's dewpoint during the night the moisture condenses on the screen and sunroof and other glass. When it's really cold it then freezes. I was shocked to see the wetness on the glass of the sunroof. As I tried to dry it with a cloth some dripped down my arm. Brrrrr! My solution was to put an electric blower heater in the car and switch it on from the socket 20 minutes before I used it. This also helped in removing ice and snow from the exterior.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts