Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55 plate fat face with birdview. The Sat Nav system is displaying disc error and will not load up maps etc. Rest of computer e.g. time lapsed etc working. Thought at first it was damp after last winter, have cleaned the lens with acetone and done the windowlene in a piece of card inserted into the disc slot trick but still no good. Would a spiral brush DVD cleaner work?
Update;Been to PC world and bought a disc cleaner with brushes inserted it and it didn't spin just in the same position when I ejected it. Not even spinning the DVD on loading :headbang:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the same problem, however occasionally mine will start up. Its about £500 for the dvd reader by the way from the Stealer that is.

Eventually I bought a Garmin, it is fine. I now have a hunk of junk stuck in my dash which I have switched off. I might replace it with a double din radio / sat nave / dvd player at a later date, when I am flush, have the time, and can be bothered..

If you find a solution please let me nnow. I think the motor on the DVD player is lazy on mine. I have heard similar stories from other victims.

Davey666

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
been talking to a man at Autotek in sheffield. He says it could be the laser. Apparently when it's turned on the sat nav wont spin the disc until the laser head moves towards the disc/lens. Depending on what make of laser it is will determine if it can be replaced or not and if a replacement unit can be found. Says he did one one a Porsche last week that uses a Sony laser that can be easily and cheaply sourced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Knackered laser. It's a panasonic unit and replacement lasers are unavailable, all that can be sourced is a reconditioned laser and mechanism for £160.
My Sat Nav screen is in fuuture going to have a TomTom IQ with European maps stuck on it. (£134 @Halfords). I'll probably even be able to update the unit by downloading new maps.
Moral of this tale - never buy a car with a built in Sat Nav.(especially one that requires a mortgage to buy updated maps)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.