Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well anyone who has seen my signature will have noted I am now up to 4 cars - and I expect that number to increase over time.

Firstly, it is worth noting that in Switzerland you can have 2 cars on each numberplate - so I have 2 numberplates - and one car which is classified as scrapped!!

In order of their appearance in the stable!

1989 BMW 525i
This was bought last February as a vehicle for myself and my wife to drive to Morocco and back - the story of which can be found at www.hardmeier.net/Morocco - we bought it from a small dealer in the town where she grew up. It got a fresh Swiss MOT, new tyres, timing adjusted, new cambelt and a full service. I fitted a sump guard and a new Blaupunkt stereo (which is quite hard on a car that old). In April we covered 9000km - without the car missing a beat. On return to Switzerland (with my other car in the UK) we kept it. The idea was to sell it at the end of the year. But 6 months later it was still brilliant - handling and riding beautifully - so I got in serviced - and then packed it off to the UK (to live behind my workshop) for the winter. My dad has kept the battery on trickle charge - and it has started without fail each time :D

1996 BMW M3 Evo
Again bought last February. I had previously an Alpina B2.5 - but the diff broke - at 121mph at the end of the Kemel straight in Spa. The result was a seriously bent chassis - and this was despite having a full FIA roll cage!! So the M3 was bought - and with the help of my mechanics it was up and running as a full Kumho championship race-car in time for the first race. Not that I competed mind you - I was in Morocco - but it was hired out to a friend!! You can find out more about the racing at www.gummow-racing.com and also www.bmwrdc.com

2006 X-Trail
2009 taught me one thing - and that was no matter how many races I went to - I still needed to get out and drive when back home in Switzerland. I needed something fun. The plan was to buy a van for the race-car - and keep the Volvo (a 2007 new shape V70 D5). I was getting precious about abusing the Volvo. I was considering chopping the Volvo in for a 911 or M6 - but I was struggling to find the right car. Then a garage turned up an Alpina Roadster S and X-Trail - and would take the Volvo in against both cars. On New Years eve I collected the X-Trail and I have been happy with it so far - after 1000km.

2005 Alpina Roadster S
The need for speed had me looking for 300ps+ RWD cars - and the Alpina came in at the right price and right spec - and is also pretty rare. I have only had it a week - and not done that many KMs - but it sounds and goes as well as it looks. And it does press all the right buttons. I will get some pictures uploaded when I have the chance to take the car out of the garage. It is however brutally quick - official numbers state 300ps and 0-100kmh in 5.3 seconds. But it has been tested by german car magazine at 5.0 seconds for the sprint - and Alpina is renowned for being pessimistic with its power quotes. This summer I hope to take in more than a few passes - and also a quick trip up to the ring. As well cross European sprints to WTCC races - and maybe a friends wedding in Slovakia.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scottie said:
Nice stable you have there.So do you race in the WTCC.??
I wish!

I am helping a friend in his quest to race - he has an offer on the table - and he is close to getting the money together. Fingers crossed he will be there next year. Over the last few years he has raced in the SEAT Eurocup - which supports the WTCC - hence why I have made to 5 WTCC weekends over the last 2 years :) :)

I race in the Kumho BMW Championship - not quite as glamourous!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.