Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, the question is correct. I live near Southampton on the south coast, and I entered Ullapool into the sat nav for a route, but it showed the message "route calculation was unsuccessful". I checked the GPS sympol and it was green, so the signal was fine. I entered Plymouth, and it found a route. I entered Carlisle and it found a route. I kept moving north and entered Fort William. No problem, it found the route. Aberdeen at 558 miles was OK. But further than this and it runs out of steam. I tried Wick but no route. They show in the database but that is it. I thought it may be a memory problem so I checked I had it on fastest route to give the minimum number of roads. It seems there is a maximum distance of around 560 miles. Is this normal or am I about to take this back to the dealer? If this is normal, then what a load of cr*p. Tomtom was better. This is a 2009 car with 7000 on the clock.

·
Registered
115 Posts
well mine will do a route through to Naples.....never had a problem with cut off of any kind....just wish it had an option to say that I'm towing a 25 foot van...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't believe I am the only person with this problem. I had my Nissan dealer run a check with a showroom car and he had the same problem. He blamed the maps. Since my post, I have driven to Scotland and found that when I was half way through Scotland, then it started seeing the north of Scotland.
When I was ready to return, I was in Orkney, but the satnav could not plot a route further south than Inverness. It was only when I reached Perth that I could get it to calculate a route to Southampton on the south coast.
I have checked this with Navteq who make the maps and they have confirmed it is a problem with the Birdview system. When I tried to find who to contact from Birdview, I find they are owned by Nissan.
Has no one found a solution?

·
Registered
115 Posts
MIne is a T30 but even so I don't think you should have that problem with the sat nav....mine is navteq as well. The onlt thing if I am going across borders with satnav then I have to change the country of address list to find the address eg if on uk then change to france to get calais, but when in the uk never had any issues, or indeed when in europe. So me thinks it must be your unit - I'd contect either nissan uk direct or keep bugging the dealer.

Rob

·
Registered
186 Posts
hi, i have a t30 and have used it in france never had a prob. it will show the maps of europe from the uk and gives the distance and time i will arrive.....it is **** :bigcry: and will not trust it tomtom is much better :thumbs: ...regards..mark

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a T30 and have experienced similar problems. Distance does not seem to be the issue though as I was on the Isle of Mull at the time and calculating a route to Glencoe!!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I have never found a cut-off (2009 model bought in September).

I have had some failures but this was due to entering the town differently from what it expected (eg: Malvern instead of Great Malvern).

I found the maps much better than my Garmin - accurate even down to tiny village roads in Central Europe which were missing on the Garmin.

I do understand that the 2009/2029 map data is due this month.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
wildgoose1uk said:
I have a T30 and have experienced similar problems. Distance does not seem to be the issue though as I was on the Isle of Mull at the time and calculating a route to Glencoe!!
Earlier this year I could not get a route home from Mull until I realised that the option to use ferries was not selected. (T31). Generally I find the Sat Nav great but I wish it also displayed speed like my old TomTom.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update - My X Trail has just been to the Nissan dealer for the recall steering problem and the fuel feed problem to be fixed. While they had it, they looked into the sat nav problem. They found other units on their forecourt had the same problem. They contacted Nissan technical department who in turn contacted Clarion who make the hardware. Clarion have admitted there is a problem with long distance routes, and their official answer is basically "tough sh*t". I quote "The way the map searches means that if long distance searches are entered it will sometimes miss roads". Not a good reply, but at least they have now admitted that the sat nav has a major problem.
I assume the previous poster from High Wycombe has an earlier model that does not have this problem.
I shall now try contacting Clarion direct, to see what they propose to do about this. And to think I sold my Tomtom when I bought the X Trail. Mistake.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
chrisuk said:
wildgoose1uk said:
Earlier this year I could not get a route home from Mull until I realised that the option to use ferries was not selected. (T31). Generally I find the Sat Nav great but I wish it also displayed speed like my old TomTom.
I actually find the sat-nav excellent with even very small roads in Central Europe shown that were missing from my Garmin.

Only real complaint is that you can't use postcodes and there is no speed camera database.

So - I bought the excellent Novus Alpha for this. Displays speed and with an excellent camara database that should be extended to cover Europe shortly. It's so sensitive I sit it in the little space by the "cigar lighter" socket and hold it tight by the DC cable - works perfectly and is very unobtrusive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts