Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm the owner since new of a 2008 Adventurer Explorer Extreme. Recently the passenger-side front door lock has started making an 'unusual noise' when locking/unlocking the car using either the key fob or the black pad central locking button.

Identified locally as a possible problem with the solenoid, I was advised that this should be an issue covered under warranty. I checked with my local Nissan dealership and they confirmed that it would be covered under the cars warranty. Furthermore, they added that this door locking issue was a problem that Nissan are aware of.

Has anyone out there experienced any such problems with their door locks? Any advice and guidance would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Road Runner

·
Registered
40 Posts
Road Runner said:
Hi

I'm the owner since new of a 2008 Adventurer Explorer Extreme. Recently the passenger-side front door lock has started making an 'unusual noise' when locking/unlocking the car using either the key fob or the black pad central locking button.

Identified locally as a possible problem with the solenoid, I was advised that this should be an issue covered under warranty. I checked with my local Nissan dealership and they confirmed that it would be covered under the cars warranty. Furthermore, they added that this door locking issue was a problem that Nissan are aware of.

Has anyone out there experienced any such problems with their door locks? Any advice and guidance would be very much appreciated.
Many thanks

Road Runner
Does it do the noise when you use the interior lock/unlock button?

If not its more than likely the superlock motor in the catch/actuator, you'll here a click then a buzz.
Common on most the Nissan range at the mo! :frown:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Eggie. You were spot on with your diagnosis, but I'm glad to say that the local dealership took the car away and returned it with the door lock fixed which is all good :grin:

The downside is the dealership have said the car needs to go back for two recalls that they have been informed about by Nissan this week. One involves the seal around the fuel tank and the second involves a potential problem with the steering rack/column :(

Anyone out there heard anything about either of these two recalls :?:

Road Runner

·
Registered
40 Posts
Road Runner said:
Thanks for the reply Eggie. You were spot on with your diagnosis, but I'm glad to say that the local dealership took the car away and returned it with the door lock fixed which is all good :grin:

The downside is the dealership have said the car needs to go back for two recalls that they have been informed about by Nissan this week. One involves the seal around the fuel tank and the second involves a potential problem with the steering rack/column :(

Road Runner
No worries!

The tank sender seal is very similiar to the recall Qashqai had where some of the tanks weren't manufactured properely and so had weak spots around the sender unit hole and the steering rack is to check the tightness of the pinion on the rack and fit a locking device, done loads on Qasqais and had none with any problems!

Egg

G

·
Hi, I own a 2007 2.2L Aventura. The passenger door on the RHS back has stopped working and is locked shut. A quick trip to the dealership today confirmed it needs a new door mechanism which they will order in and fit FOC under the guarantee. Great job Nissan.

G

·
Hi There
I have a 2009 xtrail adventura it to has a noise on the near side front door lock, but only when locking it, this is been sorted out by nissan under warranty by fitting a new actuator.
I wonder if this is going to be a future problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like door lock problems are becoming more common on X-trails. I had a problem on my new shape 08 model as mentioned earlier, and I had a similar problem on my previous older shape 07 version, on the drivers side rear passenger door (unlucky or what!) :(

The good news is that Nissan replaced the locks on both cars without any fuss. Which was great! :grin:

Incidentally, my local dealership took my motor in the other day to fix both the problems that I highlighted above. As Eggie states in his reply, both jobs were fairly simple and straightforward and the car came back washed and valeted FOC which saved me time :)

Keep an eye out folks for those safety recall notices coming through your letter box in amongst your Christmas mail! :thumbs:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a noisy near side passenger door locking mechanism every time its locked and in whatever way it's locked on my 57 plate Aventura, presumably it will be a new actuator when the tim comes. Mine is well out of warranty and hasn't been to a Nissan dealership since it was in warranty. Anyone changed one of these door actuators or have any idea how much they are. MIne's been making this noise for a long time so I presume its going to fail one day :confused:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Road Runner said:

Road Runner
Mine has had both of these done.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Road Runner said:
Hi

Many thanks

Road Runner
Have you an extended warrenty then?

·
Registered
51 Posts
NO Extended warranty, My experience of the local Nissan Main agent was in general poor although they did remap the engine management software to "cure" DPF light problems but other than that my experience with them was poor.
If and when the door locking mechanism fails I'll replacement bits and either do it myself or get my local independent to sort it out. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
My passenger door lock "makes a graunching" sound when locking (although not when unlocking ?)

I guess it's the actuator and will need to be sorted as it's out of warranty.

I may get my mechanic to look at it, although it's low priority at the moment. If there is a know issue are Nissan not going to replace the lock as it's always been serviced by them when it was in warranty.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Bit the bullet and bought a door locking mechanism from Nissan about £112 plus VAT. Got a guy who does automotive aircon to fit it for three reasons, 1) he is used to pulling the interiors of cars to bits and 2) He runs a Navarra and had the same problem, 3) i trust him.

Took about 1.5 hours to do the very fiddly job. But now we don't have the buzzing noise it used to make on locking with the zapper/buttons (deadlock... wouldn't do it if you locked the car from inside) and we ain't worried its going to fail.

Incidentally tried to get into the old unit to see what the problem was its a common Nissan/Renault part but impossible to open up without breaking it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts